Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Have More Patience The Older You Get

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yes.  I do have more patience.  I am not on time constraints anymore.... so I am not in a rush here to there... standing in line no problem... what is my rush? It is nice to not feel rushed or in a hurry.  BUTTTTT>>>>>

Yesterday I went to the grocery store... and people were wheeling those carts so fast they almost hit me in the isle!  I stopped at one point  in one isle....and a lady behind be said loudly EXCUSE ME!! And she rolled past me with her cart going 90 mph I swear.... 

I was thinking after that incident  to myself " Am I just really slow or something?" Or is the world at a faster pace than I am?"  

@SeaMaiden... No, you're not slow! The world is definitely at a faster pace and has been for years. You're in a grocery store! I would think you would have to stop to buy your groceries! So let Speedy Gonzalez run by you at 90 mph...as long as she doesn't knock you down. I like to shop during the day when all the impatient people aren't shopping... or after 6 pm. You're fine!!  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, not at all. When I was working I had to take being cussed out and just being told off. Now, I'm not representing a company, and no one is paying me to smile and say Thank You after I've been called all sorts of names. I no longer react politely to that. I will not swear at someone, but I will tell them what I think.

I also have no patience for children that aren't reigned in. If they run through my house or get into things they don't belong in, they are leaving soon. I can take them for a short time, and then either they or I leave.

Honored Contributor

Today, the customer is rarely right and customer service has all but disappeared....I have no patience for stupidity...and I encounter. plenty of it when needing customer service.
Trusted Contributor

I have more patience for the stupid little things that used to drive me up a wall, when I was younger.  

What I don't have patience for now is ignorance and unkindness.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some things yes. But some things no...for example, neighbors playing extremely loud, thumping bass music in the middle of the night then carrying on with it in their car starting early the next morning, Sunday morning to be exact.Woman Mad

There are ordinances to follow here regarding loud music. But does anyone ever follow them? My wall clock fell off the wall one day when someone drove by in a car playing loud music that thumped it's way through my house.

Are we neighbors?  I don't mind the music, but NOT  that loud vibrating bass. They think everyone else enjoys this. My house has rumbled , as well. I worry about the pets hearing this.

Trusted Contributor

I think I have about the same amount of patience in general as I ever have, which is to say about middling. 

I get most impatient with myself, since it takes me twice as long to accomplish the same tasks now. Mobility issues create certain limitations, etc. 

There is so much more scamming to constantly be aware of, as we didn’t have the internet (which I'm grateful for otherwise) or so many telemarketers. These irk me, as well as how every little thing is now overly politicized by the media. As though we need deeper divisions. I roll my eyes at the created, sensationalized scandals, too. Tabloid “news” went mainstream and is harder to avoid. I have little to no patience for any of this. 

Respected Contributor

at times. I think I've just learned to pick my battles. 

Respected Contributor

The spoilers came up just to test your patience.  Don't get all tangled up.

Trusted Contributor

When I'm standing in line at the post office or at the grocery store I never blurt out, "oh come on" or "what's the problem" but can't say that I didn't use to, back in my youth.  Funny how even when a blurter has a legitimate reason to do so, suddenly the focus turns to that person instead of the inconvenience they're put in.  So, experience has taught me to be patient, the line is not going to move faster with my comments.  

Regarding empathy.  I think if you are not taught to be empathetic by your parents or mentor, you have a long road ahead of you.  Always better to not only think of yourself.  Yes another painful lesson but I feel that is what people usually do starting out as young adults as they navigate the many avenues and roads that lay before them....which to take and where to stop even briefly. I was always in a hurry to reach my destination.  

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I have no patience at all.

No.  None at all.  Old enough that I don't have to put up with BS or drama or foolishness, etc.  I certainly do not seek it, and I walk away and never return when I encounter it.