Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Have Good Friends Who (Personality Wise) You are the Direct Opposite Of?

Yes my old neighbor and good friend. She always voices her opinion sometimes too much as of lately. I always admired her honesty in the past. However now that shes older some of it is coming off as rude when shes talking to me. I ignore it because shes older than me and I attribute it to her aging. HOWEVER she has been there for me my whole life more than any other friends. So this is why I just let some things slide that she says now days.

I am quieter around people I dont know than she is, but I also am honest and speak up for others and for myself when need be. But some of the things she says Id say in a kinder way.lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Good Friends Who (Personality Wise) You are the Direct Opposite Of?

(thread title)

Yes

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I feel,very sorry indeed for those woman who have no friends.  I cannot imagine myself having been able to endure some of the difficulties I have had in my life without the support and encouragement of the woman I love who love me.  

Respected Contributor

It is interesting what draws you to someone and makes a good friend for you.  My friends have been all different in personality but very real and decent people who have had their share of life problems.  Some have been outgoing and some not at all.  I think you can be opposite in personality but your core values have to be aligned.  When I meet someone who had the perfect childhood, perfect marriage, perfect children etc etc.,  I shut down and get away as fast as possible. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't feel I can relate well to people whose personalities are opposite from mine.  Even if our core values were aligned.... I really dislike being around loud, attention-seeking, gossipy people. So my answer is no to the OP's question.

Honored Contributor

Most of my friends are introverts like myself. We are good listeners and value our privacy. I don't really know many extroverts in my life except for a few relatives. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

It is interesting what draws you to someone and makes a good friend for you.  My friends have been all different in personality but very real and decent people who have had their share of life problems.  Some have been outgoing and some not at all.  I think you can be opposite in personality but your core values have to be aligned.  When I meet someone who had the perfect childhood, perfect marriage, perfect children etc etc.,  I shut down and get away as fast as possible. 

I think you hit upon exactly how I feel. My core values have to be aligned to call someone a friend.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have 3 very good girlfriends, and one I am very similar in personality to, and we clicked right away. The other two, we have very different personalities, but somehow we clicked. The one I have been friends with since we were 13, and we are both close to 60 now, and have still remained great friends....The other is older than me, and we became good friends by working together over 20 years ago, we are also different, but yet we mesh very well. Sometimes I think when you are too much alike, you can clash as well....It is interesting how that can work. 2 out of the 3 are very outgoing an have very bubbly get along with everyone personality(a lot like me) my 3rd friend is more quiet, she is super friendly once she gets to know you though........