Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

The bayberry candle burns till it goes out

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Since I've spent my entire married life in either California or Arizona (and we aren't night people) as soon as ball drops in NYC we go to bed.

Same here; I celebrate NYE at 9; sometimes I'm still awake at midnight Pacific time, sometimes not.  

As far  as major celebrations go, by the time midnight hits the west coast, it's a nonevent (in my experience).

Respected Contributor

Only celebrated one NYE with dinner and dancing. Other than that I have stayed home. We used to have a big family dinner on Jan 1 but divorce and aging took its toll and that stopped years ago. For many years  I was so busy working long hours and often on out of town assignments during November and December that enjoying the time off was enough without adding any fuss.

Regular Contributor

We have done a variety of things over the years.  In our younger days, we'd party with friends.  As the children came along, we spent the evening with our dearest friends....the couple that set us up on a blind date...and all our children.  That ended when they divorced after 30 years.

Family tradition is I bake New Year's Pretzel bread for us and my children's families.  German tradition that is eaten NY day for good luck in the new year.  And, of course, we ALWAYS have pork and sauerkraut New Years Day.   Kinda of a northern tradition like many southerners eat Hoppin' John, I think.

Honored Contributor

We used to all gather at my mother's on New Years day for ham and beans (not my favorite but everything she made was good).And it got to be hard to get up early, dress the kids, travel a ways and get there on time, but we did appreciate being together.

@DancinQueen -

I love that song by the way.

We were kind of the same-

frst date on New Years Eve, very romantic, then marriage and children and my sister and I would get a kick out of counting down together over the phone at midnight, cause so exciting lol!, then we were all in bed.

As years went on, it was just watch on tv and bed! yea! I love being able to go to sleep!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Some years ago, DH and I would party on New Year's Eve, but we no longer do that. I have a couple of glasses of wine or champagne, and we both hope that we can last until 10:00! New Year's Day is always appetitizers, crab legs and Mimosas.

Respected Contributor

We have our ANNUAL NYE Party ..   this would have been our 22nd year in our house and having our party.   It's also my birthday, so it's especially fun.  I cook something different every year from Beef Bourguinon, Paella,  etc.  And have a lot of apps and sides.  I used to bake too but now we buy Grandma's Coffee Cake (Cinnamon Walnut) sold locally here and chocolates.  

Our tradition is to open champagne 2x ...   since I live in the northern burbs of Chicago but am a life time New Yorker (and 2 of the people at our party were born in NY),   we open champagne at 11PM Central Time when the ball drops in Times Square, and then again at midnight here.  Been doing that for 21 previous parties.  

Will miss that this year.

I hope everyone stays safe, happy and smart.  Hugs to all.

Honored Contributor

Nope. In fact never make it to midnight

Honored Contributor

I guess the only tradition is trying to stay awake until midnight to see the ball drop at Times Square.  

Honored Contributor

We have not hoppin' John but peas and cornbread.  Sometimes we have greens (collards) with it too.

We used to go out with friends for a great festive dinner, and parties on the day but not this year.