Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

[ Edited ]

Used to be dinner and a movie and home by midnight. The last many years it’s been stay home and watch the “festivities” on TV. Lately they’ve been nearly unwatchable. Little class without ****** Clark. So I read. TV on but muted, so I can see the ball...if I’m still awake.

I’ll be working this year but will be home in plenty of time to get settled.

eta...I’ve never been sorry to see a year end and a new one begin. I love new beginnings. I’m “sunrise”...not “sunset.”  ☺️

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

My Mom, who was born and raised in Italy, always said we had to be wearing something brand new to ring in the New Year for good luck.  Doesn't matter what it is.   Also, we watch the ball being dropped in Times Square on TV.  

Honored Contributor

Watch the festivities on TV and have some snacks and a glass of wine. 

Honored Contributor

We used to have a tradition on this forum ,started by Bairn. We would bang pots at midnight, and  sign onto her thread ,and report our location ,and wish each other a Happy New Year

We had lots of posters back then , and it was always a bit of fun, to see who lived in what time zone

Honored Contributor

I have a superstition that whatever I'm doing at midnight sets the tone for what I'll be doing all year. So I always do my best to be kissing DH at that moment.

However, one year I accidentally slept through it and that year turned out perfectly fine...so...

I know a few people who always eat Hoppin John (black eyed peas) on New Years day.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Yes. I attempt to stay awake until midnight! 😁
Respected Contributor

I used to go all out for New Years Eve and Day. Now it is a lot calmer. I stay home New Years Eve. I do eat the 12 grapes at midnight with the doors open. I bang some pots or make noise. Then the first footer arrives with gifts for the New Year.

New Years Day I can not do laundry or take out the trash. I eat pork, greens, cornbread, Hoppin John and sometimes deviled eggs

I remember the old days posting about the pot banging. That was fun.

My first footer says he waits all year for my hoppin john.

doxie
Valued Contributor

On our first New Year's Eve together (our second date) my husband and I made cheese fondue.  It became a tradition that has continued for the ensuing thirty two New Year's Eves.

Honored Contributor

When I was growing up we had a New Year's Eve party with punch (not spiked), and snacks and hats and horns.  It was families who were friends, so kids and adults.  We had fun.

On New Years Eve we always go out for a quiet dinner with friends, and by midnight are home watching tv.  

Growing up, at midnight we would go out on the front porch, listen to some canons being shot off downtown and bang on pots with spoons or the pot lids and make noise!

For many years we had a topic about pot banging on this board and several posters would report that they had gone outside and banged on pots!  It was a fun and happy group.  I'll bet some of your remember that! 

On New Year's day it was and is still black eyed peas with smoked hog jowl, cornbread and turnip greens.  And we still to this day have that meal.  Except I like collards better than turnip greens.

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@cindyNC ... I saw that, too.  I like that one.  I just need to think of my 12 wishes. 

@Anonymous032819  ... Black eyed peas for luck is our tradition.  I think they are eaten with pork, but I haven't decide what I'll fix with them yet.

@Preds 

Being from the South (GA) Hoppin' John (black eyed peas w/ham) for luck and any type of greens (collard, mustard, turnip or a combo) are also required to symbolize future wealth!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.