Esteemed Contributor

Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

I don't, but I've heard about eating grapes, or beans for good luck?

I don't know.

But what are some of your New Year's Eve traditions?

Mine are being curled up on the couch and watching the craziness on tv.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

I was watching The Kitchen last week. A Mexican chef who appears regularly said one of the traditions is to alternate 12 red and green grapes on a skewer.  Each grape represents a month and as you eat each one, you make a wish (not out loud) for that month. 

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC ... I saw that, too.  I like that one.  I just need to think of my 12 wishes. 

@Anonymous032819  ... Black eyed peas for luck is our tradition.  I think they are eaten with pork, but I haven't decide what I'll fix with them yet.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

DH will pick-up from Red Lobster.  I have to work till 2. I used to cook seafood.

Honored Contributor

Years ago, when my sweet mother was still with me, I would go and get take out from a seafood restaurant that she enjoyed -  shrimp cocktails, and strawberry cheesecake.  I would bring a bottle of white zinfidel.  There was just she and I at the time.  We would have our treats on New Year's Eve and watch movies and try to stay up for the ball dropping.  Key word is "try"!!!  Every time I think of these precious moments, I tear up --- with sadness and happiness!  So blessed to have had these times with her!  

I also remember that my mother always made pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day for good luck!  I tried this myself for a couple years but mine never turned out good like hers and DH really does not care for kraut any way!

Now, DH and I stay home --- we're old!  We have the shrimp and one of those big New Year's pretzels.  We also try to stay up for the ball dropping but we never make it! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

That is interesting about those who go to Red Lobster or eat lobster.  We used to do that back in the day (when Red Lobster was still a nice, clean restaurant in our area) with the kids in tow.  The world changes and cleanliness in my area changed.

So, for the past 30 years I have made turnip greens, black-eyed peas, jalapeno cornbread.  This is supposed to be a meatless meal other than the pork in the peas and turnips, but since I do not eat pork with veggies or otherwise, I make a pot roast.  Still crazy after all these years!

Honored Contributor

We used to go to a party but now stay home and watch Christmas movies. If awake watch the ball drop in Times Square!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

The first several years I was married my ex and I would "play all our records" on New Year's Eve.....we had a lot of them, and always made good headway.  That was back in the days of 45s....it was fun!

When my children and grandchildren were younger we would all write "predictions " for our family in the new year....usually funny stuff.  The children who couldn't write yet dictated theirs to someone.  We kept them in a jar, and the next year at our NewYear's dinner we would read and chuckle over them.  At midnight the little ones and I would look out the front door to see if we could see the Old Year walking away and get a glimpse of Baby New Year (though we never saw either!).

Now I'm by myself, I get a cheeseball and crackers, sometimes some wine, and watch the Twilight Zone marathon....which is also fun!

As times change, so do traditions....but that's ok, I just make new ones as needed.  

Trusted Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I was watching The Kitchen last week. A Mexican chef who appears regularly said one of the traditions is to alternate 12 red and green grapes on a skewer.  Each grape represents a month and as you eat each one, you make a wish (not out loud) for that month. 

I like that-might use it in my classroomSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I also make black-eyed peas for New Year's.  Something fun to mark the occasion.  As we wait for the stroke of midnight, we like to watch classic movies-- I think TCM does a "Thin Man" marathon every single New Year's in recent memory.  We'll drink ginger ale, and nibble crackers, and our favorite English cheese,  Huntsman.   It's a delicious layered combo of Double Gloucester and a blue cheese, Stilton.  A bit pricey, so we only have it for special occasions.  Oh, and nuts and chips, since I try not to eat chips that often, too addictive.  So for New Year's, chips and dip are a rare treat!