Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

Stay home and off the roads.  Since I was born in Pasadena always used to get up early to watch the Rose Parade.

Esteemed Contributor

RRe: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

@DiAnne :  Went to Rose parade one year but visited the floats after parade several times (good times;love the.memories).

Honored Contributor

Growing up my mom made us have a tiny piece of herring at midnight - I still remember the taste!

Our NYE tradition is going to our favorite Japanese restaurant for sushi. Then kids disperse to various parties and DH and I go home to watch TV and bring the New Year in with sparkling apple cider. I stay up to watch a movie and DH goes to bed.

Before we go to eat we each take a coin and put it under the front porch doormat. We bring it in New Year's Day. Another tradition from my family- so we will bring money in all year.

New Year's Day is a pork dish with black eyed peas, a southern tradition. No chicken dishes, because according to my grandmother, "chicken scratches backwards."

Most of the traditions are from my side of the family. DH is from a dairy farm. They went to bed!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

My parents were raised in Pasadena and my mother used to help decorate the floats when she was in high school.  I doubt my Dad did.  I had two sets of grandparents that lived there and two sets of great-grandparents that did also.  I lived there until I was in third grade when we moved to Orange County (Seal Beach).