Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

Not really except for when I was growing up in Chicago and my Dad would take us outside with pots and wooden spoons to make noise.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Such a fun topic!

We always have Chinese food for dinner. 
Then I collect a dollar from each family member. I stack them by age with the one from the youngest on top. I place them outside in the old year. After watching the ball drop, I go out to bring in the dollars as the first thing to enter the house in the new year for luck and prosperity in the new year. I pass out the dollars to the owners with a kiss and wish each a happy new year.

Now that we have a grandchild we may have to revive banging on pots and pans. We were the only ones in the neighborhood to do that many years ago when the kids were young. 

Health and happiness to all in 2020! 🎊🎉🎊

Respected Contributor

I will be making Hoppin John (black eyed peas and collard greens), then go to bed early so I can get some sleep before the gun shots wake me at midnight and scare my cats to death.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

We now stay home on New Year's Eve....I make some easy appetizers and we have shrimp cocktail.....and wine for me! Our tradition for New Year's Day is crab legs, appetizers and Mimosa's.

Happy New Year to all of you!

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

My Mom, who was born and raised in Italy, always said we had to be wearing something brand new to ring in the New Year for good luck.  Doesn't matter what it is.   Also, we watch the ball being dropped in Times Square on TV.  

@Boehm Collector   I wish I could have made that a tradition with my husband:  For me having something new for New Year's for good luck.  I wish I could live life with him over again, I would do that.

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:
We also walk the labyrinth and when we get to the center we light our paper with our burdens, fears or concerns to send it symbolically to God.

doxie

@doxie1   Where do you do this?

Honored Contributor

Lobster.  And my husband and I make Mochi. Yum!

Contributor

My tradition for New Year's Eve is to watch the Twilight Zone marathon.  I've been doing it for several years and it never fails, I end up watching one that I've never seen before.  My favorite episode is the one with the little spaceship that lands on Agnes Moorehead's house.  Cracks me up everytime.

Happy and healthy New Year to all!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Its not the sweet mochi made with rice flour.  We have a machine that makes the rice and then pounds it into a soft sticky dough ball.  Then we pinch off small dough balls and pat them about 1/2" thick by 2".   Then they are left out for a while.  You cook them in a buttered pan.  They soften, brown, and puff up big!  I dip them in soy sauce, my husband sugar and soy sauce.  They are so good.

Esteemed Contributor

Dinner out locally with friends.  Then my DH & I will get into the hot tub probably about 1:00 a.m. with a peach wine cooler.  This year looks like quite mild weather.  Not like the usual -20°.