Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

Eating herring.

Esteemed Contributor

DH & I usually go out for a light early dinner. Then we come home & get into our pjs.We cuddle up in front of our fireplace & tv & watch the festivities from Times Square. About 10pm I put out hot & cold hors d'oeuvres & DH will pop a bottle of champagne 🥂🍾.Perfection!!

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

Did you have to leave three black eyed peas on your plate? I remember as a child being so excited to be able to leave something on the plate.

doxie
Respected Contributor

We also walk the labyrinth and when we get to the center we light our paper with our burdens, fears or concerns to send it symbolically to God.

doxie
Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Eating herring.

@IMW 

Growing up .... my parents always had a party ... pickled herring and herring in sour cream and onions were always on the table.

Esteemed Contributor

alicedee, you have wonderful family memories and a healthy attitude. I enjoyed reading your post. 

Some years we're asked to watch grandsons, but not often. My son doesn't drink so he makes himself available to friends who need a ride home. Single dad -- he'll drop kids off to run those errands. 

Early Italian dinner with sis-in-law and husband, then hubs and I drop in at neighborhood friends' house - festivities begin at 8 PM. We've been doing this for twenty-five years. Group dynamics have changed slightly over the years but a good opporunity to catch up. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 We live near a church with a paved labyrinth. I'm going to borrow your idea for New Year's Day. We usually take a hike but I like your idea better. Thank you for sharing. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake

Take an ashtray to collect the ashes with you.

My dogs have walked the labyrinth with me and people have commented how they followed and sat silently in the center.
It is too bad they don’t act that well at home! Haha
Honored Contributor

We watch the movies and wait for the ball to drop as far as activities, we have not partied since our son was born 35 years ago. If I'm up to it I will cook pork and sauerkraut, it's tradition in our family and the area my husband and I come from. Eating that dish is supposed to ensure good luck for the coming year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Year's Eve is a meal here (for years we got together with the couple we went to college with, but now they go to their daughter and SIL's to be with the grand children for a few days 4 hrs from here).

New Year's Day is herb rubbed pork loin roast (health), collards (the money you'll make in the new year),  sweet potatoes (I make kahlua candied yams, copper pennies), black eyed peas (the luck you'll have), and corn bread.

Our son, DIL, and the grandsons will come.  (one of our older son's very favorite veggies as a child was collards!  I was constantly washing and cooking this things!