Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any New Year's Eve Traditions?

@alicedee wrote:

The first several years I was married my ex and I would "play all our records" on New Year's Eve.....we had a lot of them, and always made good headway.  That was back in the days of 45s....it was fun!

When my children and grandchildren were younger we would all write "predictions " for our family in the new year....usually funny stuff.  The children who couldn't write yet dictated theirs to someone.  We kept them in a jar, and the next year at our NewYear's dinner we would read and chuckle over them.  At midnight the little ones and I would look out the front door to see if we could see the Old Year walking away and get a glimpse of Baby New Year (though we never saw either!).

Now I'm by myself, I get a cheeseball and crackers, sometimes some wine, and watch the Twilight Zone marathon....which is also fun!

As times change, so do traditions....but that's ok, I just make new ones as needed.  

I love your attitude!

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing much. Usually go out for Mexican food then come home and go to bed early because I know I will be awake with idiot neighbors shooting off firecrackers until 2 in the morning. Making sure no one burns their house down because of their stupidity.  Makes for a grumpy New Years Day usually. 

Honored Contributor

Most importantly, I stay home.  I have never liked being out anywhere on New Year's Eve.

New Year's Day I always have black eye peas, collard greens, and usually smothered pork chops (some times it's spare ribs).  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we go to bed at the usual time, then grumble when the neighborhood fireworks wake us up at midnight.

Our partying days are over.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

For us it's an evening like any other evening.  We worked all day; we come home kick back and order something good from Ubereats and watch movies.  We watch the ball drop and then we text "Happy New Year!" to our two girls and then we go to bed.  

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I was watching The Kitchen last week. A Mexican chef who appears regularly said one of the traditions is to alternate 12 red and green grapes on a skewer.  Each grape represents a month and as you eat each one, you make a wish (not out loud) for that month. 

@cindyNC   Yes-the eating of the grapes.  A tradition started in Spain-Madrid, I believe, way back in early last century.

Eating each grape to coordinate with each toll of the church bells at midnight.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Will grill steaks. Sides are a baked potato and broccoli salad. I ordered ice cream treats from our Schwans guy -  a chocolate cookie base topped with mint ice cream and dipped in chocolate.

Will stay up for the NYC ball drop at 11 our time. Next day is a brief church service and we'll definitely watch the Rose Bowl🌹.

Honored Contributor

New Year's Eve was about "First Night"- walking around "downtown" enjoying food, music, and some other performances.  Some inside, some outside.

That was back home up north.

No way do we venture "downtown" here.  Nice festivities for sure but the local TV will cover it all.

Depending on how everyone feels, we get appetizers and maybe pizza or Chinese food at DS's home.

Other than that, a snooze-fest.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I don’t really celebrate. All the excitement is lost on me. My tradition is to avoid all NYE shows on TV. I find them a boring waste of time. I usually find a good movie to watch on TV.

Respected Contributor

@buyornot Thank you!  I always enjoy reading how others celebrate, too!!