Super Contributor

Re: Do You Have An Anthem You Live By

[ Edited ]

I don't have one since life can vary so much.  That said, this song always applies:

God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

The only reason many of us are fortunate enough to live in this country is because of decisions made by our ancestors, and that our freedom came at a price paid by others. 

So many forget that and take for granted that they live here, as if it was just always meant to be that way.

Esteemed Contributor

Here is at least one, that I consider an anthem of sorts.

Love Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vTKmVvyNRc

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Many years ago I got a thank you from an auto body shop for using them to repair my vehicle.  Enclosed in the envelope was a card with the nicest verse which helped me many times throughout the years.  In short it said you have no control over the actions of others but you can control how you react.  Great advice and I hung that card in my office and it made my life as well as the lives of many of my co workers much easier.   

Honored Contributor

I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Popeye.

That works for me today.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal~

love your signature line!

Ces 33 chiens sont uniques au monde, et ils vont vous faire rêver. Le 7 ème est vraiment mon préféré !:

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When Peace like a river

Attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll,

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Respected Contributor

When I was younger I use to worry about what people thought of me. I had zero confidence and didn't like to speak up.I kind of blended into the woodwork. Now I'm older and you know what, I don't care what people think of me! I do me you do you. I know I might not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's alright. My anthem is Make Your Own Kind Of Music by Mama Cass Elliot.

You descibed me perfectly.   The problem now is that I held it in all those years and now that I can speak up for myself I dont let much slide. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know whether it's an anthem, but I have several thoughts that are very simple but are bringing more meaning to my life.  Since I am getting up there (64), I have stopped just going through the motions of life.  I am being more mindful of daily experiences.  Every day is not filled with rainbows and chocolates, but I am glad that I am here to be a part of each one.  I look up more, not down.  I am trying to be --- how do I put this?  Not so much inside my own head --- always thinking about the next step, the next thing that needs done, the next problem. etc.  But enjoying the small thing that is happening --- right now.  Maybe it's only letting my mind and my eye take in and really see and enjoy that clear blue sky and fluffy cloud.  Maybe it's letting that pastry fill my mouth with its sweet crumbly goodness and enjoying every last crumb.  Maybe it's driving down the road with the window down, the wind blowing on my face, and seeing another car go by, the window down and a dog with his head stuck out the window with the wind blowing his ears and knowing that he, too --- is in the moment.  And what he has now --- is all that he needs and wants!  That is the way I want to live!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a youngster from 10 to 15, I was fat. Before 10, at which age I was skinny as a rail, until I was hit by a car. After that I kept getting heavier and heavier, not sure there was any connection.

The bigger I became, the more introverted I became. Was called all the key words that cause many fat young kids to get even more introverted. Even at my job, a car hop, which I started before I was 12 years old, I got a specific name "Roundie". That was better because I was working with older men, many from the US Airforce base near by.

At age 15+, I decided to lose weight, the only way I knew how in the 1950's. Even though I was working around very good restaurant food, I lost over 50 pounds. That seemed to psychologically change me. I began to move out of the corner to be seen and heard.

Over time I seemed to have done a 180, and was now one that led many conversations, and my convictions about life also changed. Instead of being a reclusive follower I seem to always become the leader, in about every thing I was involved.

At that point I really did not care what "people", that were not family or friends thought of me. I always spoke up for things with which I disagreed, and let the chips fall where they may, including the jobs I worked.

My motto/anthem, way of life now: "call it like I see it", with no mincing of words, especially now, in what seems to me to be, an ever expanding PC world in which I live. I try my best to respect everyone, but I will never change my motto/anthem. No beating around the proverbial busch for me.

hckynut(john)