Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Sam's Club? (or similar) What Do You Get There?

As a teacher, my oldest daughter is able to have Sam's Club membership at a reduced rate.   She shops there about once a month, and has offered to take me anytime I want to go, but I have no great interest in shopping at Sam's.   The few products I buy there can be found cheaper in other stores.

Respected Contributor

I certainly go to the Sam's Club several towns over - have none where I live. Actually prices are cheaper than other places - the products you buy are generally larger than what you can find in a grocery store. For example, laundry soap, can get BIG boxes at Sam's and when you average the weight and cost - much cheaper at Sam's. Yes, you will spend more during an outing there but do not forget you are buying much more - saves a lot of trips down the road to your local store. Other items, paper towels, toilet paper,frozen veggies, and the list goes on and on. If you have several dogs, cats, you can get real buys there in the big bags.

Esteemed Contributor

I shop at Costco for gas once a week, and I probably go into the store for different items about once a month.

I tend to primarily get paper towels toilet paper, dishwasher powder, trash bags. books etc.

I primarily purchase non perishables from them.

I was just there yesterday and one of the items that I purchased was a motion sensor trash can for my kitchen.

Respected Contributor

we have BJs about 20 minutes away.   i like the big paks of chicken tenderloins and they are individually sealed (6 or 8 tenderloins to a pak.   i love that i can toss in the freezer and have them ready for stir-fry. i majorly dislike handling chicken.  the Bertolli frozen packaged dinners are good for a quick meal. i do very little convenience stuff and no fast food. so the Bertolli is nice for last minute meals. i have had the marinated salmon but it is a big piece for two. 

i like the razor blade bonus packs and the clothes. i have picked up cute dresses and tees there. gas for the grill and also for the cars, great deals.

i think Sam's closed here and Costco is over an hour away.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a Sam's and a Costco within about 15 minutes of my home but I'm not going to pay to shop in anyone's store.

That's a shame because you can save a fortune.  One trip, and I've paid for the membership.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

I buy....

Pom toilet paper as my plumber and septic people said to never use Costco, Cottonelle, Northern or Charmin.  Splenda, spices, K cups, books, cheese, bottled water, Sabra single servings, office supplies, supplements, disposable gloves, toothbrush heads for Braun and Sonicare, baby wipes, drain cleaner, hearing aid batteries, Sam's paper towels, and the odd tool/household/electronic item.  The best deal was a camera that was better than Costco's offering, and it was $50 less.  I let the Costco membership go last year, and they're the best place for macadamia nuts, but Sam's has a much better cheese department.  That's vital in this house.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

We have both Sam's and costco.  Costco just opened in the fall.  I have a Costco membership.  I don't buy enough to make it worthwhile, so we'll see if I renew.

I buy frozen veggies and fruit, rotisserie chicken, cheese sticks, single serve snacks, mac and chs, batteries, garbage bags, onion soup, seafood.

Trusted Contributor

There are both Sam's Club and Coscto where I live. I've never been to Sam's, but I shop a lot at Costco.

Honored Contributor

I started shopping at Price Club when my children were small.  When Costco bought them I became a Costco shopper.  I go to Costco about once a week.  I figured with the kids gone unless I used it regularly it was not worth the price of the membership.  I buy dog food, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, bleach, batteries and much more.  They have great plants in the spring.  I purchased almost all my spring planting there.  I get prescriptions there.  Great prices on glasses.  I used to buy a lot of books there but started using the library lately.  I buy fresh flowers for the house.  I have bought gold jewelry there.  K-cups are a great price. I do not buy any of the frozen processed food but if you do there is a big variety.  I am limited now with the fresh foods but I still buy bags of lemons, lettuce, spinach, avocados and grapes.  I do not eat a lot of meat but I have heard it is really good.  I love their rotisserie chicken - best bargain going!

I always get a rebate big enough to pay for my membership plus some extra.  

Trusted Contributor

So is that correct that I could buy a Costco gift card and shop there without being a member?