Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Get Taken Advantage Of

@Jordan2 wrote:

I know there are people who say no one can take advantage of you if you don't let them, maybe that's true. I have a kind heart, I never want to hurt someone and want people to like me ( I am a people pleaser), I feel people take advantage of my good nature. I started a new part time job at a school. There is a women there who thinks she's my boss ( I was never told she was) she always gives me jobs to do. I come in 15-20 minutes early and I do work she gives me because if I don't get it done it will make me late for what I'm suppose to do ( I know I'm an idiot working an hour plus and not getting paid for it). Today I had an early mammogram appointment, I was the first appointment and was in the waiting room by myself. This woman comes in and proceeds to ask me to move my seat so she and her husband can sit together. Mind you, there are plenty of empty seats together but no she has to sit in my seat! I moved but I was annoyed. I let people ahead of me on line hoping they will pay it forward but who knows, I let people in front of me when driving. Sometimes I feel like a doormat and maybe I'm too nice. 

@Jordan2 

I haven't read every post, but with those I have read, you have certainly gotten some good advice here.  

Hoping I am not being redundant, a few things come to mind.  First, being a "people pleaser" isn't a good thing, and if someone calls you that, it's not a compliment.

Secondly, PLEASE get clarification as to the reporting heirarchy at your job.  You should NOT be doing someone else's work or working off the clock.  You could cause real problems doing that. It seems you may not realize you are violating employment laws and regulations.  The school district could be fined for your actions!

Thirdly, repeat this:  "No is a complete sentence".  Just say "no" and move on.

You need to start practicing standing up for yourself, even with small things.   Don't be so quick to automatically accomodate other people; give it some thought first.  If you have already agreed to do something and regret doing so, you can always say you have reconsidered, and won't be able help them out after all, so sorry.  

People that often "feel like a doormat" have difficulty establishing boundaries.  Based on your comments, I think it's time to make some little changes. Start standing up for yourself!   Don't hesitate ... or delay.  You will feel much better for it.

Super Contributor

@Kitlynn There is NOTHING wrong with working off the clock.  Whatever her terms of employment are will dictate whether it's considered overtime.  I have never heard of "you shouldn't work off the clock."  I used to put in over time (prior to work and after work) for years.  It was a preference I had to finish a project that day.  It's not against the law.

I don't think OP was talking about OT, I think she was talking about her own free time. No employer can ask you to come in early to set up before your shift starts. And employee's can't expect to get paid for the time they came in early and worked on their free time when they weren't asked.

I used to work for a large corporation that highly suggested you come in 15 minutes before your shift to start your computer, sign in to your apps & phone & read emails, etc.. The employee's brought a class action law suit against the company & that stopped it immediately & then for the next 20 years that I worked there, supervisors made sure that nobody was working before/after their shift or during their lunch.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

The first thing you need to do is find out exactly who your boss or bosses are. Secondly you really are not suppose to work off the clock so stop going in early. If you find out she is not your boss then you need to let her know that you aren't going to be doing extra jobs she assigns you. I have a feeling that you are doing things she is suppose to be taking care of. Now you don't have to be hateful or rude when you let her know but you do need to stand up for yourself and just say no. There is no reason you can't continue to be a nice person and help someone out once in a while if you want to. However there is a huge difference between being nice and being taken advantage of. If at the end of the day you are not happy with what has happened and what you have done then it is not a nice or good thing. You are entitiled to have feelings and to be treated with respect also.

@Kitlynn There is NOTHING wrong with working off the clock.  Whatever her terms of employment are will dictate whether it's considered overtime.  I have never heard of "you shouldn't work off the clock."  I used to put in over time (prior to work and after work) for years.  It was a preference I had to finish a project that day.  It's not against the law.

Actually, having an employee who is not management work off the clock and not compensate them is a FLSA violation.  In this case, the OP is being given tasks to do outside of her job description. Her job is to monitor the children.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2- Either stop coming into work early or when this person tries to give you her work, tell her no.  Your immediate supervisor is the person who approves your time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 

Have I? Yes I have been, and by people that were my friends(?) for many years. The last one was the reason I discontinued my Adult Hockey League after 52 years. I had planned to keep it running for as long as I was able.

Two others, that were years long friends? I ended up taking them Small Claims Court. Neither of them showed up for either trial, so they ended up paying me. Was it the money? No! It was because they would not even give me the courtesy of a response.

Do I get taken? Would be pretty hard to get anything by me now.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   If you like to arrive early, don't go into the office, spend your time in your car, or somewhere away from your work area enjoying your coffee, having a snack, catching up on emails, planning your day, whatever.  I encourage you to arrive at your work area right before your shift starts.  Keep doing that week over week, and pretty soon, no one will expect you to work before your start time. 

I'm salary and put plenty of "free" hours in, and once when I was told that I was late (from a fellow supervisor), as I got there at 8:05 am - instead of 8:00 am, I told him I would leave early to make up for it.  And of course, he's the one who calls and needs me to come into the office on a holiday to help him out.  I'm happy to do it, because I really enjoy my job (plus I'm salary and can leave early whenever I want to), but it doesn't sound like you are appreciated for the extra effort you are putting forth and are being taken advantage of, so my suggestion is to stop doing it. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoechic wrote:

I don't think OP was talking about OT, I think she was talking about her own free time. No employer can ask you to come in early to set up before your shift starts. And employee's can't expect to get paid for the time they came in early and worked on their free time when they weren't asked.

I used to work for a large corporation that highly suggested you come in 15 minutes before your shift to start your computer, sign in to your apps & phone & read emails, etc.. The employee's brought a class action law suit against the company & that stopped it immediately & then for the next 20 years that I worked there, supervisors made sure that nobody was working before/after their shift or during their lunch.

@shoechic It's the same thing.  No difference.  If you are at your place of employment and have begun a day's work before your start time it COULD be considered overtime if it so stipulated in the terms of your employment.  The same would apply if you stay five minutes after your departure time.  I have never ever heard an employer tell people don't come in early or don't stay late.  Never. Employer's don't care.  They know what the terms of the employment contract are.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

The first thing you need to do is find out exactly who your boss or bosses are. Secondly you really are not suppose to work off the clock so stop going in early. If you find out she is not your boss then you need to let her know that you aren't going to be doing extra jobs she assigns you. I have a feeling that you are doing things she is suppose to be taking care of. Now you don't have to be hateful or rude when you let her know but you do need to stand up for yourself and just say no. There is no reason you can't continue to be a nice person and help someone out once in a while if you want to. However there is a huge difference between being nice and being taken advantage of. If at the end of the day you are not happy with what has happened and what you have done then it is not a nice or good thing. You are entitiled to have feelings and to be treated with respect also.

Actually, having an employee who is not management work off the clock and not compensate them is a FLSA violation.  In this case, the OP is being given tasks to do outside of her job description. Her job is to monitor the children.

NO IT IS NOT.  She is not an exempt employee.  Y'all need to get your stuff straight.  Once she's done with those children, many stay behind to clean up, clear up and head home.  Of course, many teachers take their  work home with them to grade papers and such.  I've never heard of such a thing.  The reason why is because it's NOT TRUE. @qbetzforreal 

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

No it's not against FLSA.  Many teachers stay after children have been picked up.  They get the room ready for the next day, don't they?  Clean up, grade papers or whatever @qbetzforreal 

Respected Contributor

Spoiler

@Jordan2  I am a retired principal and associate superintendent from a big metro area.

in my schools either i or one of my assistant principals supervised all of the paraprofessional s no matter how many hours they worked.

I would suggest you go to one of them and tell what is going on. This needs to be brought their attention and I am sure it will be resolved. 
My staff quickly learned not to do this.

good luck