Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Get Sad This Time Of Year

Agree with kitty cat ladies (Indoor and Lou) and many other comments. I think about people who have passed on to their next  journeys. I miss them. So thankful for our extended siblings holidays of Christmas past - and family vacations when kids were younger and health was good. Some of my bro-in-laws have had poor diagnosis over the past year. I think about this. Two of my 3 children live out of town. I try to be mindful and focus on the present. Keep holidays simple. As someone mentioned - don't force the joy and good tidings. Enjoy the simplicity of the season. As I type this, my daughter daughter from west coast has been texting me with sweet messages and jokes. I guess I'm the luckiest person I know.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm still grieving the loss of my mother, my husband, and my best friend, all within months less than 3 years ago. I thought I was feeling okay about the holidays this year and have kept myself busy at home and very busy at work. But since I've kept thinking about them at bay, I've dreamed about them a few times the last couple weeks and woken with tears rolling down my cheeks. Today, I'm having a good cry. Tomorrow, I'll be busy, busy working again. I'll take my heart off my sleeve and wear it under a longer-sleeved top.

Super Contributor

I have very bad anxiety and depression that is worsening by the day and this time of year is making me feel even worse. I live in a miserable place with horrendous winters...very cold and lots, and I mean lots, of snow and getting dark at 4:30PM..ugh. I don't have the parties to attend, the friends to visit or the traditions to partake in nor a significant other to share good times with.  This year was a "milestone birthday"...one that ends in "0" for me and it has made me even more sad thinking about what could have been if I did things differently...currently obsessing over 2 poor decisions I made in the past that were both so very wrong choices for me despite me thinking the opposite at the time.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

@Jordan2 

No, seasons have nothing to do with my emotions.

hckynut

@hckynut   John, you are such a "guy"...yep, definitely a guy thing.

...wishing you a great holiday season!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  I do have moments of sadness. Especially when I take poinsettias for the graves of my parents and grandparents. 

I'm sad that suddenly I'm old and I don't know when it happened. I get sad when I think of how hard I worked keeping the magic alive for my now grown and gone daughters.  Now, I barely have the energy to put up my tree - something that I always made a great production of when my girls were little.  

What really makes me sad is how much "more" it takes to please everyone now.  When I was a little girl, times were much simpler. We received one precious toy, mine was always a doll.  We played with our toys and each other.  Now, children get electronics that they need no one else but themselves to play.

But, I am always the eternal optimist for which I am grateful. I've lived a good life, for which I am grateful.  So, I think, rather than say I'm sad, I'll just to have to say I am more reflective of a good and very blessed life.  

Occasional Contributor

I do because I miss my parents, and the wonderful times our family had together, not only at Christmas but daily.   We still have good times together, but  really miss our parents.   I know how lucky I was to have them for so long, but I still miss them.

Respected Contributor

@SueMing wrote:

I do because I miss my parents, and the wonderful times our family had together, not only at Christmas but daily.   We still have good times together, but  really miss our parents.   I know how lucky I was to have them for so long, but I still miss them.

@SueMing  You will always miss them, no matter how old you get. Smiley Sad   The older I get, the more I miss mine.  I miss them all the time, but, more so this time of year. 

Honored Contributor

@Jamstan wrote:

I have very bad anxiety and depression that is worsening by the day and this time of year is making me feel even worse. I live in a miserable place with horrendous winters...very cold and lots, and I mean lots, of snow and getting dark at 4:30PM..ugh. I don't have the parties to attend, the friends to visit or the traditions to partake in nor a significant other to share good times with.  This year was a "milestone birthday"...one that ends in "0" for me and it has made me even more sad thinking about what could have been if I did things differently...currently obsessing over 2 poor decisions I made in the past that were both so very wrong choices for me despite me thinking the opposite at the time.

@Jamstan, have spoken with your physician about your increasing anxiety and depression?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

Yes I do get really sad this time of year.  I think of those same exact things, losing family members, not accomplishing all I intended.  I go through the motions for the sake of my adult children.  I wish I had m ore spirit.

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Jamstan wrote:

@Jamstan, have spoken with your physician about your increasing anxiety and depression?

@suzyQ3 Hi, yes currently in therapy for it. I have only taken baby steps but being able to vent and say things I have wanted to say for so long is well worth the $$$. Meds have been recommended for me but I am reluctant to go down that road for many reasons but I have not taken the option off the table completely.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.