Super Contributor

Re: Do You Get Sad This Time Of Year

@stevieb One day I hope to be able to accept the fact that holidays will never be the same again. I am not there yet. This will be my second Christmas without my mother and I miss here terribly. My family is very small. I have a brother and sister that don't speak. My sister and I eat and exchange gifts on Christmas Eve. Brother shows up late afternoon Christmas Day and we visit. He doesn't want to exchange gifts but I buy him a gift. My mother would want him to have a gift to open on Christmas. What family I have left can't even be together on  holidays. I just tell myself I can get through 48 hours and then the Christmas season will be over. I hope next year my attitude about the holiday season will be more joyous.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do get sad.  Not fond of this time of year, despite what the Holiday is really all about.  I think a lot of people have similar feelings as evidenced by a lot of the posts on this topic.

I am not just sad for myself though, I am sad for all the people who are suffering losses - both old and new - this time of year.  An older fellow in my community just passed this morning.  I didn't know him, but I feel sad for the family members.

I feel terribly sad for the Barnard college freshman who lost her life in NYC and what her family is now having to deal with.  Had they bought her presents, and were looking forward to her coming back home for the Holiday?  Makes me feel so bad.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN -

I feel the same waySmiley Sad

I always feel so sad for the ones we hear about every day.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I am much better off than some, but I have to admit this time of year makes me sad. I think about getting older, what I haven't accomplished, loved ones that I have lost. I just find it hard to get into the holiday spirit.

In a word, yes.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Yes we all have members not here or just sad but I try to take a different approach, love my parents for all the fun even tho you are in heaven, I don't forget you but I also live life that for friends & family that are alive to hear their funny stories of the holidays. It's small holidays for us, enjoy remember & live life, I think my deceased realativeswould rather me enjoy than be depressed at this time. I remember each one & laugh when they were alive & the fun we had. Celebration of life is the holidays to me and enjoy the memories of those who are not with me. You are in my heart everyday not just holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I get upset at holidays and birthdays since my mom passed in 1979, My dad passed 8 yrs ago. (I also dread Mothers day and Fathers Day anymore)  All my aunts and uncles passed away and 2 of my cousins. I think of them all the time. However, I try to make the best of all holidays and hide it, due to my children and grandchildren. And I love my children, grandchildren, and my husband more than life itself but I still get sad. Nothing is the same once you lose a parent or parents. You never truly get over it! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

"This Time of THIS Year"......my bio family has turned against me with hate-filled-filthy words in private emails, and in social media messaging options. I became a Great Grandmother a few months ago. I have one grandchild and he and his wife, my daughter (the new Grandmother) and her live-in boyfriend are almost killing me. I was able to get photos of this precious baby boy for a few weeks. Now, in this wonderful time, is a darkness and can't explain. I live in the Southwest and all of them are on the East Coast. My other child, a son, is also there and seemingly he has 'joined' them. I am so broken, I have to force myself to breath. There is not one chance they will talk this-out; I tried. I've been told I am "dead to the family" and I am an "extremely evil person."PLEASE pray for me, tell me to keep going-on.Thank You.....
Trusted Contributor

Yes, this time of year makes me miss my Mom so very much. She loved Christmas and always made it special for all of us. So I am trying to carry that on in her memory. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

@Jordan2 

No, seasons have nothing to do with my emotions.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I empathize with those who are sad.  I have been fortunate that I have not lost a child or a mother so I can't speak to that kind of sadness.   I did lose my father two years ago and, yes, I do  miss him.  Everyone called him "Happy Harold".  He brought so much laughter and love into my life.  I will always have that and am so thankful for his love.

I do enjoy the Christmas holiday and tend to want to keep the laughter going because I think that's what Dad would want me to do. I have shed a few tears but I don't stay there long because I believe he is now in his forever happy place.   There have been things in life that have made me sad....but Christmas has not been one of them. I think it's because the reason for the season gives me so much hope for tomorrow and peace for today. 

For those going through especially sad times, I pray for each of you....comfort and peace through the difficult and sad moments.