Super Contributor

Thank You SunSprite!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure what 71 is supposed to feel like, but that's what I am. Physically I feel pretty good - no major aches or pains and pretty good health. Looking back, I thought my 50s and 60s were good years, and honestly that is not old! What I'm starting to see now is that I'm looking older (IMO). I take care of my appearance although I'm underweight. My advice for those in their 50s and 60s is to never think of yourself as old! Even in my 70s, I find it hard to believe I'm at this age!

Valued Contributor

Reading all of the posts I am beginning to feel like Methuselah.  I turned 80 in June and being 80 is nothing like 50, 60 or even 75.   I knew I would get old but somehow I thought I would still feel and act like I always did.  Health wise I can't complain except for arthritis and will have TKR January 3.  My grandchildren keep me up on todays lingo and stars (when I can hear them).  Turning 50 was a life changer for me, went back to work after being a stay at home Mom and landed the best job of my life.  Opportunities to travel and work with some of the nicest people.

Enjoy your 50s, 60s and 70s.  Your life is really just beginning.

Honored Contributor

I am a lot older than 50 and I am fine with that and I understand I'm old and I'm fine with that.

I don't think I'm young, I don't feel like I'm 20 and I'm good with that.  Life has been in general great to me and I am happy to be the advanced, smarter and more experienced person I am--now that I'm old!

I love my age!  I'll love it 20 years from now if I'm lucky enough to be 20 years older! 

Respected Contributor

I once read a short story (or part of a longer story?) that we are a culmination of our current age and previous ages. You might be 60, but part of you is also 50, and 40, and 30, and 20, and even younger with the experiences and feelings that you've had with those ages. And tomorrow you might be 61 or 49, depending on your mindset and/or events you face. In other words, age is not a day, a month, or a year. It's all of he ages that have made you, you.

If you're thinking about life insurance, I would check with your employer and see if some type of policy is included or available.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Next year I'll be turning the big 5-0.

I don't feel that old.

I still think of myself as being in my 30's.

There are things that I need to take care of.

Life insurance is one, but with no family, who to name as my beneficiary?

Will is another, but again, who do I leave my krap to?

Also, my very first colonoscopy.

I can't believe that next year I'll be 50.

So, do you ever feel your age, or do you think of yourself as being younger than your actual years?

Don't feel bad being almost 50. Last month I turned 79 -- and can't believe that's my age. My mother died when I was 41 yrs old - so that's how old I am!!!! I had a colonoscopy 2 yrs ago - and tried to get out of it - but my doctor insisted. So glad I had it. Fourteen years ago, I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer - so I immediately had a Trust/Will drawn up. I left most to a friend - but she died 4 yrs ago. I re-did my Will and left all of it to my Rabbi at Chabad of Oxnard, CA. He and his wife are the most amazing people and dedicate their lives to others -- and every day of the week, there are lots of dinners, parties, Chanukah displays in the local mall, at open shopping centers, etc. The rabbi visits the jail in the area to give hope to prisoners; he's a Chaplain at the local Police Station; he visits sick people in the hospital; every Friday night, their home is open to anyone who wants to have dinner - with lots of singing and humor. I will leave my house and savings to them. To boot, they're raising 8 children.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Feel Your Age?

[ Edited ]

I turned 50 eleven years ago!!!  Don't know where the time has gone!  In my head, I'm still 35.  But I deal with some chronic health stuff, so my body definitely feels at least 61.

If I didn't celebrate a birthday, or look in the mirror, I feel like the same person!  I think it's a really cruel joke of nature.  But, the alternative would be worse.  Smiley Wink

ETA:  After I've thought about this for a while, I have to say that I actually am happier now than I was at 35.  I'm post menopausal, so no more hormonal shifts.  My Hashimoto's has retreated, because I had a thyroidectomy, so I'm not fluctuating between anxiety and depression.  I still have some health issues, but we've reached a good place in our lives.  My husband will retire in 36 months.  We are financially well set for retirement.   I feel peaceful and content, and actually happy a lot of the time.  If I could get off 60 pounds,  a lot of my arthritic pain would improve, and I'd say these are the best years of my life.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know because I don't know how I am supposed to feel at my age.  Woman LOL  But I feel pretty good except for this darn pain that will never go away.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I left 50 in the dust 20 years ago!  The only time I feel my age is when I try to stand up after a long day of screening compost, pushing wheelbarrows full of planting mix around the yard, crawling around in the dirt planting shrubs and perennials, hanging onto the tiller for dear life prepping soil for planting and lugging sacks of soil amendments from the car to the storage area.

Then I remember that I'm not 30 anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I honestly don't know how to answer that .... my entire life, I've never "felt" any age.   How does anyone tell the difference between "feeling" 25 ... or 50 ?