Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Feel Uncomfortable Giving Eye Contact?

Customs are different in different cultures.  As a Native American, I can tell you it is not uncommon for many American Indians to see direct eye contact as a spectacular rudeness.  It's a prying form of aggression, like inspecting the person too closely, looking for flaws or weakness.  Think of a bird, eyeballing a bug before it devours it.  

A firm handshake is also seen as a sign of aggression...like you are testing your strength against the strength of the other person.  It's not terribly friendly.  

I'm familiar with the cultural cues of both societies, and I can adjust my behavior accordingly.  

I only mention the cultural differences because too often American Indians are seen as shifty or evasive when they are merely displaying the good manners of their culture.

Honored Contributor

Being a nurse I have no difficulty talking to anyone. I am so accustomed to talking to strangers. Actually sometimes having to discuss very personal things with them. So I just talk to everybody.People who are from Pittsburgh tend to be very open and friendly too, it is just the culture around that area.Pittsburgers are well known for being friendly.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Where else would you look at someone you are speaking to, but their eyes?

For some reason I look at people's mouths when they are talking. Don't know why,, read lips maybe?? I force myself now to look at their eyes instead.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do make eye contact with anyone I am speaking with, I don't stare, but I want them to know that I am paying attention to them and whatever we are speaking of is, at that moment in time, important to me.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

No not at all.  In fact, I actually have to sometimes curb making eye contact in certain situations, ie., pan handlers, vendors at mall kiosks.

Others may not agree with me, but I feel not making eye contact in most everyday situations is rude, standoffish behavior.  I don't mean one has to intently look at the person they are interacting with, but at least look up once in a while.  

Valued Contributor

OMGosh, I do not make eye contact with those kiosk people.  They will hound you...

Honored Contributor

If I'm interacting with someone I have no problem with eye contact.  However if I am not, I'm not one to look around the room to make eye contact with anyone.  Nobody looks at old people anyway.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

As a child I was taught to be seen and not heard, I would never look an adult in the eye for fear of punishment. When I got older and did not have that fear of being punished, I was able to give people my undivided attention and look them in the eye.

Honored Contributor

Generally, no.

But ...I have alternating exotropia ... and sometimes it startles people who don't k now me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make eye contact very easily.

It is an automatic instinct of mine to look directly at people.

(From years of sales training)

Many times they start talking to me if I look at them.

It doesn't bother me it's just sometimes I want to be incognito.