Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Just Take a Day Off?

[ Edited ]

Sure, why not?   I call them "personal days".  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

@KaySD , what is doggone lists?

@Dinaki   that is another way to say, darn list.  That's all.

Honored Contributor

When I retire....that will be my days off.  I'm still working, so I can't take days off.  Working at home is odd.  I'm at the computer most of the day.  I tried doing housework on my "lunch" hour, but couldn't get things done.  When I get back on campus this fall (till Thanksgiving anyway) I'll feel more that I'm "working" And I'll feel more normal.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think you should have regrets for treating yourself to a "day off."  I have days where I feel like I go and go and have little to show for it!!  It takes me twice as long these days to get very little done!

Other days, I just do my basic routine of every day living and it seems like the day is gone before I get anything extra accomplished!  

I truly never take what I would call a "day off", where I just didn't attend to one single thing and was totally selfish and was totally relaxed and ignored everyone and everything!  That would feel great, but I never seem to be able to do it.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Normal temp is 76 and for this week 90's are forecasted. I won't bother to make a 'to do' list. Of course, I'll make meals, do light cleaning and one or two loads of laundry, but I won't take long walks or work in the yard. Have books to read and shows to watch while DH is at the office.

Respected Contributor

Never, but hoping to do it!  I feel compelled to achieve, and I push myself to do at least 1 or 2 (or all) things on my list everyday. That's just me, I think I base self-esteem on my accomplishments. But I push too hard, and have given myself a bad back with a huge garden and ridiculous home projects such as removing wallpaper from 8 rooms and painting 10 rooms (over last 15 years). Anyway, I am gettin' old and am trying to seriously dial it back, and mellow out!! 

Honored Contributor

I just spent 63 hours cleaning up my yard after the derecho storm went through.  I took Friday and Saturday off.  Now, if only the adjustor could come and look at my damage.  I'd like it fixed before winter....or the next big storm.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart  Wow, that storm must have been so frightening- I live in CT with ginormous trees around me, and we had a recent hurricane with winds 80+ mph ( lost power/ internet for 4 days) and I was praying during the storm.   And it took me 4 days to clean up the yard-  I saw the footage of the devastation from the derecho, just unreal... 🙏🙏🙏 that everything is restored there and no more storms! 

Honored Contributor

My definition of retirement is more days off than on!   I'm loving it!