Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Buy A Lottery Ticket?

Sometimes but never even close to a win.  I buy on a whim but usually I don't buy. 

Respected Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

I buy them once in a while.  I have never been lucky with games of chance.

A guy I went to high school with has won a large amount twice.  The first time was 1 million dollars, and second time was for 30 thousand.

My DH and I have had the opportunity to socialize with him and his wife a few times. What we have concluded he that he is cheap. He hates to spend money and is very tight.  He and his wife sleep in his car when they travel because he won't pay for a room.  He has a great well paying job and his wife works too.

I was shocked that he would play the lottery.  When our oldest son told us about his winnings and I could hardly believe it.  I went to the lottery page and looked it up.. Yep, he won.  His million dollar winner was with a $20 ticket.

Trusted Contributor

Yes and boy I feel stupid when I lose. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have bought a few, never won. My daughter has bought a few and won 20.00 once.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my uncles by marriage won $50,000 back in 1975.

One of our divorce clients and her then soon to be ex-DH won $6 mil a few years prior to the split. They took the annuity.

Years ago a nurse at the local hospital and her DH won $20 mil.

I guess it does happen.  I'm game for $6 bucks a year but that is my limit now.  When I worked we would all chip in $5 each and buy tickets.  Of course, we made copies for everyone.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

No, I have never purchased a lottery ticket and I have no plans to in the future.

Respected Contributor

I have but it's been a few years.  Our State doesn't have a lottery, so I have to drive 90 minutes to the neighboring State border to buy them.  I've only won $6, so it doesn't seem worth the effort.

I do play the slots a couple of times a year.  I also have to travel out of State to do that but I call it my vacation.  I don't spend a lot of money and it's good to get away from home for a short while.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we do, and we have fun with it. I usually buy a couple of $5 or $10 Scratchers each week and mostly break even. Most of my "wins" are less than $100 and that's fine with me. I buy them for fun, not to become a millionaire. DH buys regular lottery tickets weekly and has the same attitude as me.....it's purely entertainment and we have no thoughts of winning the big bucks. If we couldn't afford it, we wouldn't buy them. DH rarely gets out because of health issues, so anything that he enjoys doing is fine with me.

Esteemed Contributor

Once long ago, at work, we had a silly calendar that indicated that some of our stars were aligned.

So we went BIG and everyone put in $10 into a pool!!!  And promptly lost our shirts 👎🏻