Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Buy A Lottery Ticket?

Hubs buys tickets and passes these out at holiday gathering. It's fun. No one has won big - but some day! This year was subdued -- oh, well, next year. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

When I was working, a lottery with a big payoff came up.  We decided to pool our money and buy lottery tickets.  Some people put in $1 and a few people put in $5.

I said I would buy the tickets and I did.  The next day, I made copies of the tickets for everyone who put money in.  There were 14 people.

Well, we won a few thousand dollars, but not the jackpot and I went to redeem the ticket.  I had to fill out paperwork for the IRS before I received the check.  I did not want to be responsible for paying income tax on the whole check, since I was getting only a small portion of it.

The lottery send me a form for all 14 people that had to be signed and filled out with everyone SS number on it.  Boy, were my coworkers angry.  They did not want to fill out the form and give their info and they did not want to pay taxes on the money.

I insisted and wouldn't give them their portion of the cash until they did.  There was a lot of bad feelings over this.  Bottom line. I didn't pay taxes on the total amount, only the small portion that I got to keep and I never was the runner to buy tickets for a group of people again.

Respected Contributor

I was reading over the posts here and saw it mentioned that some folks are just luckier than others when it comes to winning something.  I totally agree.

My dad was one of those lucky ones.  Sometimes his prizes were for extra effort at his job, those he deserved.  But it didn't stop there.  He just seemed to win often.  A large Longaberger basket raffle at the local medical center, a David Armstrong print, matted and framed at a downtown store.  He once won a set of knives, I can't even remember where.  And a Seth Thomas kitchen wind-up clock. Mom used to laugh it happened so often.

Trusted Contributor

Yup I play Megamillions and Powerball each week.  My mother loved playing bingo.  It was my mom's biggest "vice".  My dad always indulged her.  This is my vice.  I see someone put an inference that somehow you are "immoral" if you play.  Well ok then, count me in as immoral.  You can't win if you don't play.  I fully understand the odds and I also realize there are plenty of people out there who "beat" the odds and won and there will be people who continue to win.  I am an optimist and feel that anything is possible.   I have never been to Vegas, have no desire to go.  But I like playing the lottery.  What's life if you can't dream big?   

Respected Contributor

I occasionally buy lottery tickets. I figure it's good to support the GA lottery. The lottery in this sate funds the pre K program and pays for college tuition through the Hope Scholarship for those students who maintain an overall B average for their entire 4 years.   Every Christmas I buy everyone in the family 5 scratch off tickets to go with their Christmas presents. I think the most that any of us won was $13. But it is fun. We're always hopeful.   

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find scratchoffs to be great fun and a form of inexpensive entertainment. 

The seething undertones of disapproval are palpable.  My opinion, of course. 

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I will buy a $1.00 scratcher ticket here and there, and buy a ticket for the Mega Millions every once in a while.

I know that I have a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning, but it's fun to play, and hey, somebody has to win, right?

Actually, apart from the few games that are structured to award all the prizes, nobody has to win. That's why the jackpots roll over and get so big. The more people playing, the more likely it is that someone will hit all the numbers, but it doesn't have to happen.

@noodleann 

Eventually, somebody does win though, and who's to say that I can't be that lucky person?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I will buy a $1.00 scratcher ticket here and there, and buy a ticket for the Mega Millions every once in a while.

I know that I have a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning, but it's fun to play, and hey, somebody has to win, right?

Actually, apart from the few games that are structured to award all the prizes, nobody has to win. That's why the jackpots roll over and get so big. The more people playing, the more likely it is that someone will hit all the numbers, but it doesn't have to happen.

@noodleann 

Eventually, somebody does win though, and who's to say that I can't be that lucky person?

Gotcha. You'd up your odds, though, if you bought a ticket for every draw.

Odds are what I go by. They're in the fine print. There are a couple of games in my state with much better odds than Megamillion and Powerball, although much lower jackpots. When I used to buy tickets, I'd buy those. There's also an occasional game that awards all the prizes, but it's expensive, so I don't usually get that.

A friend had a year's worth of tickets that he had bought and never checked, and asked me to go through the winning numbers, which were on his state's website, and check his tickets. Since he played the same numbers every time, it was easy. Out of a year's worth of tickets, I think he won $2. He doesn't play any longer.

I haven't bought a ticket in years, but it can be fun, just revelling in the possibility of all that moolah. If you look at it as a cheap amusement and cap your spend, it can be a lot less expensive than other distractions.

Trusted Contributor

No.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

I'm not much of a gambler but I do like going to horse races and placing a $2.00 bet on every race!  I never win big but it's so exciting when my horse wins!  I just love the atmosphere at the race track and looking at all the beautiful horses.  It's a lovely day out and doesn't cost much for a full day of fun.

The only thing I can remember winning is a turkey at the grocery store.  And it came with a notice that I had to declare it on my taxes!  (Which I did, since I assumed the store reported my win.)  Ever since then, I don't care if I win anything.  Not worth the trouble.

Oh, to answer the original question, no, I don't buy lottery tickets but my husband does once in awhile if the jackpot is huge.

Man plans. God laughs.