Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Buy A Lottery Ticket?

Odds for regular lottery winning ticket in NJ are just too high to waste my $.

I do buy scratch-offs for Christmas stocking stuffers and for birthdays.

DS won $50.00 on a scatcher from his in-laws! I won $20.00 on a $10.00 scratcher for Christmas and DDIL won $10.00 on a  $10.00 ticket. Considering that I spent $80.00 on the scratchers I was glad to get 25% back in winnings.

I was surprised to find that my state no longer offers $1.00 scratchers. They start at $2.00. 

Honored Contributor

I told DH he needs to buy more. We need to win the Lotto so we can live off the Grid away from all the lunatics.

I'm so sick of it all I could go live in a cave.

Honored Contributor

Before COVID, we would sometimes buy a ticket on our way out of the grocery. They had a couple machines there so if we had one dollar bills in our wallets, we’d buy a ticket maybe once a month. Didn’t buy any in 2020 though. 

Honored Contributor

I like buying scratch off tickets, I feel I have a better shot at winning something than if I buy Mega Millions or Powerball. I am on a losing streak, I say I might as well throw the money in the trash, it comes out with the same result!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I am not a gambler either....but I did buy 2 today...one powerball and one mega millions.   I only play when they are extremely high like this week.   Like you...I would love to give much of it away...to family, friends, and charities.  
I know the chances of winning are next to zero, but I had to give it a shot. 
    Years ago I went to Las Vegas for a convention.  The first day on my way to our session...I had some time to kill so I found a Nickel slot machine...put in a nickel and won $600.  That was the extent of my gambling.   I didn't spend any of the winnings...just brought it home.  I guess it was worth the trip !

Respected Contributor

I've bought 3 of the kind that offer huge winnings, can't remember the name cuz my friend was the enabler and I just went along for the ride.  Didn't win anything.

Five years ago I bought 3 of the $1 or $2 tickets.  Won $100!!  That was it.  Figured I'd better quit while I was ahead. 

Trusted Contributor

My DH and I each buy a powerball ticket when the drawings get to be big.  You can't dream if you don't play!

Honored Contributor

I still play my Mom's Megabucks numbers. Not long after she died I won $100. I wanted to believe that was some sort of sign. She played the same numbers forever. 

I buy scratch tickets sometimes. Last Summer I bought myself a Brahmin bag on my birthday, found it on clearance in TJ Maxx. While waiting for the train home I went into the newsstand and bought a scratch ticket. Won $100, the handbag was 90 something.

I dream of hitting it big on a scratch ticket. I see stories of people who win millions two times or more...that's tough when $20 is the most I have ever won since the birthday.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I do ,sometimes ,just bought 2 ,about a hour ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We do when the jackpots are high, sometimes scratch offs too.

DD always picks up discarded, already scratched off tickets in parking lots too, ever since she picked one up outside a liquor store and it was a $60,000 winner.

I guess whoever scratched it off, didn't realize it was a winner and just threw it on the ground....or maybe they already had a buzz, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.