Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Eat Before You Go?

Many restaurants have their menu online on their website. I always look at their menu if we are invited out since DH is on a eating plan from his cardiologist. If there is nothing on the menu he can eat. I just decline the invite but usually they are eager to suggest other places or ask me to suggest a place. I would never go and pay for food I couldn't eat.
Honored Contributor

No, I usually can find something I can eat at any restaurant and I wouldn't insult someone who invited me to a party by eating ahead of time. I just would not go out to restaurants with people or accept an invitation to a party if I felt like that about food. Only in the states where there is so much food(if you have the money to buy it),do we have these kind of discussions.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

never eat before i go out to a party or before i go out to eat.

i know that restaurants and other places usually have at least one or two things that i can eat. i am not that picky and have no special dietary needs.

even if i can only have a cocktail and an appetizer i am fine.

I don't see myself as a picky eater but I do feel everyone has different preferences is all.  I can suggest places like Panera....Max & Ermas...Olive Garden (they like pasta I get chicken instead lol)....Red Lobster...and so on but it seems to fall flat.  

We only do this a few times per yr...but still it makes if very unenjoyable for me to spend money and it be awful tasting and have to go home and eat.  I'd rather go to a place with variety.

@tsavorite . You are suggesting all chain restaurants that usually have low quality food.  It's fine for once in a while but it sounds like you don't go out with them all that often.  Why not find a great restaurant?  You can check TripAdvisor which will have the best restaurants in any area.

I have to disagree about the restaurants listed having 'low quality food'. They certainly do not. 

They may have mostly foods that one doesn't find appropriate for their diet or health requirements, but the food at any of these is in no way what I would consider low quality. 

Usually not the best quality but not all chain restaurants.  However when I think of Olive Garden or Red Lobster, I don't think of fresh, wild caught, grass fed, organic & GMO free food.  Maybe I have to revist and check out the menus. 

However if most of the food is still CFO or factory farmed meat, poultry and fish it may taste good but it's not the best quality and healthiest for consumption.

Respected Contributor

I wiuldn’t make such a big deal out of it or discuss it with everyone. When it comes to gatherings at restaurants, be gracious—eat or don’t eat but focus on the friendships and keep your food issues to yourself. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite

I rarely eat out and if I do it is only with my wife. Last ate out on her birthday which was 5 months ago. Before that? Probably her birthday the year before.

Eat before I eat out. Doesn't make sense to me.

hn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I do not eat before going to an event/restaurant.  I probably wouldn't go to a restaurant I didn't want to go to either, but if I did, I'm sure I could find something on the menu to eat.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat before.