Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Eat Before You Go?

@tsavorite wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

never eat before i go out to a party or before i go out to eat.

i know that restaurants and other places usually have at least one or two things that i can eat. i am not that picky and have no special dietary needs.

even if i can only have a cocktail and an appetizer i am fine.

I don't see myself as a picky eater but I do feel everyone has different preferences is all.  I can suggest places like Panera....Max & Ermas...Olive Garden (they like pasta I get chicken instead lol)....Red Lobster...and so on but it seems to fall flat.  

We only do this a few times per yr...but still it makes if very unenjoyable for me to spend money and it be awful tasting and have to go home and eat.  I'd rather go to a place with variety.

@tsavorite . You are suggesting all chain restaurants that usually have low quality food.  It's fine for once in a while but it sounds like you don't go out with them all that often.  Why not find a great restaurant?  You can check TripAdvisor which will have the best restaurants in any area.

Esteemed Contributor

My grandson has food allergies (eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and ?? can't remember the last thing!). Anyway, most restaurants are so helpful working with him when ordering. If there is any question, the waiter/waitress will check with the chef before actually taking his order. No one wants him going into an allergic reaction. If there is any question, we simply change his order to something we (both family and the restaurant manager) are more comfortable with. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

The local diner should have something for everyone.

Honored Contributor

Good grief no.   And I don't stop to eat after I just left a restaurant or dinner.  I can't wrap my head around that.  My wellness group suggests that people who can't control what they eat or are volume eaters eat something filling and healthy before they go out to a dinner or party,  to control cravings and head hunger. I don't have that problem.  I am a bit of picky eater and I try to eat healthy but my friends are my friends and when we dine out, WE decide where we are going to eat so that all of us will have something on the menu that we can enjoy.  That's what most people do.   I don't know why you would feel pressured to go somewhere that doesn't appeal to you.  If your friend is that selfish, just say "sorry, Susie.  I can't joing you this time.  Nothing there for me to eat".  I've never been to family buffet or party or even a work party that did not include a variety of foods. I probably wouldn't go if that was the case.  I'd send my husband off with the gift and he could stuff hisself with bratwurst and cake.  

Esteemed Contributor

I normally don't but if a group of friends agree upon a restaurant that I've never been to, I will look at the menu online and have an idea of what I will order or at least a good idea.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I do not like to eat out in restaurants or at social functions.  I usually come home starving or stuffed from eating a dumb salad, but only if croutons were not added.

i love salads and eat them everyday, but when I go out, I want something different than what I prepare at home.

Social functions are very difficult for me....at least in a resturant, I can usually find something to eat.  Breakfasts in restaurants are almost impossible.

I have Celiac Disease and can't eat gluten which seems to be added to gluten free foods.  Even seasonings have gluten added to keep them from clumping.  

I don't eat before I go out, and most of the time I don't eat when I get home.  I just do without.

Super Contributor

No, but I understand what you are saying. I have one group of friends who always want to do a Mexican restaurant. I have always agreed and have tried some dishes that I didn't like, have tried just getting tacos a la carte, and have tried a taco salad. None of them have been very good, in my opinion. My friends absolutely love the place so I go along because I love being with them, but I am very happy when everyone agrees to go somewhere else. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Good grief no.   And I don't stop to eat after I just left a restaurant or dinner.  I can't wrap my head around that.  My wellness group suggests that people who can't control what they eat or are volume eaters eat something filling and healthy before they go out to a dinner or party,  to control cravings and head hunger. I don't have that problem.  I am a bit of picky eater and I try to eat healthy but my friends are my friends and when we dine out, WE decide where we are going to eat so that all of us will have something on the menu that we can enjoy.  That's what most people do.   I don't know why you would feel pressured to go somewhere that doesn't appeal to you.  If your friend is that selfish, just say "sorry, Susie.  I can't joing you this time.  Nothing there for me to eat".  I've never been to family buffet or party or even a work party that did not include a variety of foods. I probably wouldn't go if that was the case.  I'd send my husband off with the gift and he could stuff hisself with bratwurst and cake.  

I don't have a weight issue....my friend is always dieting.  I respect that and we both have some intestinal issues that we avoid certain types of foods that might bother us.  Hers are different then mine but it's the same concept.  

As for family picnic I don't think you can avoid those....and husband would want me there so I just eat before we leave and if by chance there's something there other than bratwurst or hot dogs I eat that like salad.  I bring fruit or something else along.  I don't eat pasta so pasta salads are out for me those are usually there.  Sugar carbs like pasta make me feel ill and bloated.  Same with super fatty meats...like bratwurst.  Booze is a no go for me too.  Heat and booze is a bad mix ...so I eat before I go and truly nobody notice I am not woofing down plates full of food.  

Respected Contributor

Having lived in this small town for 14 years I do have problems when going out to eat with friends.  We only have 4 restaurants in town - 2 Mexican, 1 'fine cooking' 1 very bad pizza.

The fine dining one was excellent but for the last 2 years has never changed its menu - or specials - and seems to be going down - the Mexicans not very good - again always same items, food always cold - I can recite all the dishes plus specials from memory for these restaurants - but  people here  have nowhere else to eat except to drive 30- 40 miles and then it is mostly fast food and we all need a night out now'n again.

I now decline lots of invites because I just do not like the food and prices - if I do go out I do eat something before I go and then maybe only order appetizers or salad unless Heaven help us there is a new item on the menu to try!  Looking forward to moving to CA just for a good meal out!

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3 - I'm not a fan of Mexican food because I don't like cumin, can't even stand the smell of it but if there was a plain Cheese Quesidilla I'd be okay with that.