Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Believe That a Thread Can Be Sabotaged on Purpose?

@JaneMarple wrote:

I've been seeing this more and more lately. Usually it's a long and interesting thread, a party makes a snarky remark and then that post gets responses calling out that poster and voila, it's closed or poofed!

It is the thread about micro chipping that I'm referring to, it was a great thread and in my opinion deliberately ruined!

Why is that a curve ball can be thrown but when called a foul, the umpire throws out the batter for arguing the point?

@JaneMarple  Hon-I suggest you read your siggie.  In the grand scheme of things, it just wasn't all that important.Smiley Happy

You are not new around here-it's just the way it goes.  I didn't post on the thread but I did read it and amazingly 99.9% of posters agreed.   H8ll just froze over.   LOL

I would prefer the posts be removed and the thread stay but I'm not the Queen of the Board around here.  Alhough I should be.  LMAO!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC reposting religious content that was previously deleted.

Honored Contributor

I was hoping to respond on the closed thread. It was very clear that someone decided to monopolize the thread with a differing opinion. It's one thing to disagree but another to appear to deliberately shut down all effective dialogue. This seems to be a pattern and easy to spot. It is deliberate.

Respected Contributor

To use your baseball analogy, the umpire doesn't want an all out brawl on the mound.

It all depends on who you are.  There are many posters who are perpetually snarky and insulting, yet they get hearted by others.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I was hoping to respond on the closed thread. It was very clear that someone decided to monopolize the thread with a differing opinion. It's one thing to disagree but another to appear to deliberately shut down all effective dialogue. This seems to be a pattern and easy to spot. It is deliberate.

It was a very good thread and I hope it can be reopened.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I think it can be done by bringing up certain forbidden topics.  It's like a red flag. 

Honored Contributor

YES, I DO @JaneMarple

What I don't understand is why the Mods let the few get away with it.

Instead of culling out those who are ruining it, they close or lock the entire thread.

That's unfair to everyone and reinforces the bad behavior.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's done frequently and often times by the same posters under a variety of names.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

YES, I DO @JaneMarple

What I don't understand is why the Mods let the few get away with it.

Instead of culling out those who are ruining it, they close or lock the entire thread.

That's unfair to everyone and reinforces the bad behavior.

Because if someone comes into a thread and throws a b****-slap at someone, it's not required to return the favor. Report the person and ignore their obvious attempt to crash the thread.

The problem comes in when there are multiple posters who will fight to the death (figurative) not to keep the thread viable, but just to fight "back" at the other poster(s). I've seen threads where, when several people are slinging mud, the moderators will let it go on because people were slinging back. Hard for a participant in it to complain about the mudbath. At a certain point it becomes not about right or wrong behavior, but about joining in the behavior. At that point IMO, you "lose" the moderators being able to make a simple decision.

The threads I've seen where it was taken offline and 1-2 people's posts removed and then the thread returned to action were cases where only one person was trying to pick a fight. No one zapped back - it was just quietly reported and poofed. But if the moderators don't have time to wade through a page of nastiness, I see why they just wipe it out or shut it down.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It is usually the threads about hosts....theymight  start out as a compliment to the host and someone decides to throw a wrench in the wheel and turn the thread ugly bashing the host.  I say start your own thread about the subject if  what you want to say is 360 degrees from  the subject the original poster  started.