Respected Contributor

Re: Do People Tend to Create Their Own Drama?

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Esp. in my family. All drama queens and kings. Once 2 people got into a fight (fists) about chicken salad.

@Group 5 minus 1 , I, for one, would love to know what was in (or what was not in) that chicken sald.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Yes I do believe so.  But I don't see all of them as attention seekers.  Some of them are just inept at life skills, resolving problems, making decisions, trusting themselves and the list goes on.  Others struggle with being miserable and unhappy and tend to involve or even attack others instead of recognizing the problems lies within.

@AlleghenyAgree.  When "stuff" happens it isn't always just about a broken finger nail; we know that life can throw some serious situations at us.

Over-reaction is often the insecurity about facing something for the first time such as serious illness or death of a loved one. Fear can be a powerful force in some situations.

The lack of experience dealing with RL issues coupled with a lack of life skills may seem as though the person is being dramatic.

Attention seekers are consistent and usually start each sentence with "But" no matter how hard you try to help them see the reality.  Big red flag.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Yes, drama queens.  Always, always bothered by something or someone.  See it quite a bit on these boards.

You are correct @qbetzforreal and just by scanning the thread titles proves your point.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AussieLuvr wrote:

There's a word for it. 

Catastrophizing

A good friend of mine does it constantly.

Even a hangnail is a life or death situation. 

It's the boy who cried wolf. At her/our age (mid-60's), unfortunately, one of these days it WILL be life or death and nobody will pay any attention.

It's exhausting and makes me not trust her.because EVERYTHING is embellished. 

It's unfortunate, because she is a wonderful person, otherwise.

@AussieLover

Reminds me of my mother-in-law who was always anxious about a small hurt, distress and/or her health to get attention...she indeed was a hypochondriacand it was very tiring....

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Yes, people can create their own drama.

They start threads about it.

Yes, they seem to use it as a survival technique. And it gets old quickly. Best to ignore I guess.

Honored Contributor

I think most of the people who are drama queens are just desperate for attention. One I know just basks in the spotlight....no matter what she has to do to get it...and another I know is always making up stories about celebrities who called her or she saw in a restaurant.....and of course they asked her out, etc. Yawn.
Honored Contributor

I do think people who post a lot of drama here in the forums, almost daily,  entjoy the attention of it, whether they created the drama or not.  Sometimes it seems as if people compulsively start threads to say "look at me."

Honored Contributor

I dont know anyone like this in my personal life, but do know of such folks on the internet.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes we have one family member who seems to constantly be in some major drama....I dread the holidays when she has a captive audience around the dinner table....surprising how fast we can eat when she starts her saga...just to get out of there. I think she just craves the attention since she lives alone...but conjuring up all the drama is just sad.

Honored Contributor

I think online drama is....

a having a forum member post the last post in a thread in September...

with the thread going dormant moved to pages & pages back...

and having the same poster bump up the thread 3 months later.

If that ain't drama, I don't know what is.