Respected Contributor

Re: Do People Tend to Create Their Own Drama?

@Anonymous032819   Yes, I have a friend who is exactly as you describe.  I have to hold my tongue many times to keep our friendship.  If I told her what I really think, that would be the end of it.  She does have many good qualities, but the drama is "dramatic".  She definitely creates most of it herself but does not see that - it is always everybody else and the world is unfair.

Funny thing is, she talks about her daughter and another friend of hers as being all about the drama and it is all I can do to say can you not see yourself here.

I retain our friendship because of her good qualities and I feel she does need our friendship.

Honored Contributor

I think most of it is learned behavior.  Check out the parents.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

A friend and I I were discussing this recently, about how drama seems to follow people around no matter where they go.

It could be from job to job or relationship to relationship, but no matter where they are, or who they are with, drama is around.

Whether it's having a tantrum when they don't get their way, or whining when they play the "victim" card, or just plain being angry and bitter at the world because they feel that Life has been unfair to them, so they take it out on everyone.

Do you think that this is true?

Do you think that people tend to create their own drama?

@Anonymous032819   Yes and it's especially unfortunate when people don't recognize themselves as doing it.  And that's all I'll say.

Respected Contributor

An interesting aspect here I've observed is the most active drama inclined posters will develop a following over time not unlike a small fan club that will take on mother bear protective posting attitudes if they believe their favored one has been insufficiently respected.  It's kind of weird, beyond the norm of simple support. But then it isn't uncommon for such people to draw in others in the real world -- for a time.

Respected Contributor

Some days there is more drama here than a year's worth of drama at the Old Vic!  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

Of course people creat their own drama. That’s why all the the Housewives franchises are successful. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkSunset, I so agree....the terms "victim" and "martyr" are perfect for most of these folks. Everything about their situation, issue or problem just never seems to end. It goes on and on and on. They want comments, but they do not want disagreement. They do not want suggestions that might help resolve an issue, they find holes in your suggestions. There have been a few of them on this forum that keep going and going - they won't give up....they like the attention, and after awhile most of us just drop out because we recognize what is going on. Having someone like this in your family is not a pleasant situation. You learn to ignore and not get drawn in.

Honored Contributor

Depends on what you consider "drama".

What I consider "drama" may not be "drama" to someone else and vice versa. 

I'll be honest with ya; I don't pay attention to what goes on in other peoples lives because I have my own ****** to deal with. Now, if their ****** causes me issues, then there WILL be drama, trust me. I don't want that, so....there it is.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

An interesting aspect here I've observed is the most active drama inclined posters will develop a following over time not unlike a small fan club that will take on mother bear protective posting attitudes if they believe their favored one has been insufficiently respected.  It's kind of weird, beyond the norm of simple support. But then it isn't uncommon for such people to draw in others in the real world -- for a time.

I've noticed that too, @Free2be .

"For a time" certainly rings true.

The protectors seems to fall off after awhile and a whole new collection of defenders springs up . 

The drama lover just keeps on ticking.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@Free2be   There have been "fan clubs" since forever around here.  Whether centered on a drama queen is a matter of perception.

You certainly have to remember when other discussions were allowed there were definite groups surrounding the most vocal on both sides.

There were also posters who would side with the most "popular" regardless of how nice or how miserable said popular poster could be.  Easier to side with the perceived popular lunch table than stand alone and true to oneself.

If a person has been unfairly accused of something, of course a friend will speak up.

But if the person is not of a certain group, for lack of a better phrase, then the defense is dismissed and the incorrect information stays attached..........forever.

I guess it's all how we perceive each other;  and how we are willing to admit that we may not like what everyone says but that doesn't mean we have to be dismissive of them, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh