Honored Contributor

Re: Do People Tend to Create Their Own Drama?

Yes.  Some people thrive on it.  Some think it's only women, but I worked with mostly men and they seemed to be worse.  I'd chase them out of my office when they would start their woe is me.  Real I'll listen to ... your own created pile ... out of here.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Yes they do and I have one in my family who I think craves it like an addict does for a drug.  It truly seems this man as an addiction for drama.  I just find it all utterly boring and exhausting listening to all the many updates to the various situations.

I totally agree. There seem to be some people who are addicted to drama and either seek it out or invent it if there is nothing for them to exaggerate. It never ceases to amaze me the stories people make up in order to validate their own fantasy about someone else.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I try to avoid generalizations, but I will say I had a friend many years ago who thrived on drama. After many years of close friendship I just had to call it quits, it was exhausting being her friend. Silly me, I would try to help her solve her dilemmas, not realizing it was almost like oxygen for her.  I do all I can to avoid drama, but I do recognize that to many it is necessary to live.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Yes, most definitely. Usually as a result of their poor choices. 

⚓️
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a word for it. 

Catastrophizing

A good friend of mine does it constantly.

Even a hangnail is a life or death situation. 

It's the boy who cried wolf. At her/our age (mid-60's), unfortunately, one of these days it WILL be life or death and nobody will pay any attention.

It's exhausting and makes me not trust her.because EVERYTHING is embellished. 

It's unfortunate, because she is a wonderful person, otherwise.

Respected Contributor

Definitely some people do create their own drama. You can see it on these boards - they're usually the ones who complain about things yet do NOT listen to anyone giving them advice. Or who call those who disagree with them "mean". 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Taylor Swift has made an entire multi-$$$$

musical empire out of being a ‘victim.’

My BFF & I we’re talking about this over dinner 

this past weekend.  I pulled up all her song titles...

we couldnt stop laughing. Every. Single. Song.

Honored Contributor

Yes and if there is no drama going on they will find a way to start some.  Also known as making a mountain out of a mole hill.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Some people definitely do.   I don't do drama or games so I have a fairly short amount of patience for any of it.    Easiest to just ignore it and move on, when possible.

But I have known numerous people over the ages who definitely create drama - totally unnecessary drama, but it gives them the attention they seek so it does serve its purpose for them.

I agree, it's mostly about seeking attention.  I'm not good at feigning attention.

Honored Contributor

Being a “victim” pays. 

I stay away from people like that.