Honored Contributor

Re: Do/Did you socialize with co-workers and/or boss?

Wow, sounds like you were a very close group of people!

I would say that I have a few friends that I have kept from the many years I worked.  A few I am really close with. Then, there are those that I was friendly with while I worked and after I quit, they said we'd do this and that, and we'd remain close, but they never wanted to remain friends, so obviously we were co-workers and nothing more.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

While I was younger I use to socialize with co-workers.  Now I don't.  The corporate environment has really changed a lot.  

The employees who I worked with that had been with the company for an extremely long time (30+years) socialized outside of work often.  Today's corporate environment doesn't have people staying with a company long term.

Now after seeing first hand that companies don't really care about their employees, I just want to get through my work day.

Valued Contributor

Rarely.  Eight hours a day, at least, five days a week was more than enough.

Honored Contributor

I only socialized with coworkers during the holidays when someone would have a get-together at their house or we would meet at a restaurant after dinner.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Had breakfast with a former co-worker and we talked of the fun we had with the people who we worked with.  This was before the couple of new women came and fun ceased.

We had get togethers at boss's and associates's houses.  Summer is was porch parties Friday after work. Spouses came too.  Associate's wife would make snacks and have drinks or we got pizza and wings. We went to dinner or out for a drink after work. The Monday after Thanksgiving the bosses went hunting we (secretaries)  got breakfast from a local restaurant and all ate together in the library.  No attorneys, no appointments that day.  It became a tradition.

Wherever I worked we all normally had lunch together every day.

One place closed the office an afternoon near Christmas and everyone went to the local movie threater to a free showing of A Wonderful Life. I was there briefly but they did it every year.  Full disclosure,  I offered to stay and answer phones.  I hate sappy movies of any kind and lived 60 years without  seeing that darn movie and was ok.  Nope, bless them, it was like living with Santa's elves from 12/1 on.  I went. It was a long 2 hrs.

I worked with some fun people.  Do you see co-workers or your boss outside of work?

I married one

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

When our CEO became engaged we had a champange reception for her.  My future husband offered to help her administrative assistant clean up which involved them drinking the remaining champagne!   I too k advantage of this situation asking my druken future husband out on ur first date.  The rest is hsitory!