Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do/Did you socialize with co-workers and/or boss?

@Suzeecat   We had a great time too.  8 week old Golden Retriever.  He got to be a pill. She had to close her bathroom door all the time he would jump in the shower with her.  We loved Frank stories.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I socialized with people I worked with. Now less so because I have had some health issues. However, we still email each other, keep in touch and have some nice long phone calls.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had one job that I really liked. I liked the people, the boss and the corporate culture. This was when it was fun to go to work (or at least tolerable) we all had been there so long we were like family. Our relationships lasted longer than some marriages. We did associate after work. Happy hour and weekend events, Christmas parties etc.

My last job. No way. I didn’t even like most of the people I had to see on a daily basis let along after work or on weekends. Drama, drama, drama. Backstabbing, judgmental. I hated the company and it’s culture. I only associated with any of them after hours because I had to. Someone’s work anniversary usually. Other than that, I couldn’t wait to get in my car and drive home. When I got laid off I was so happy not to have to see or hear from any of them every again. 

Honored Contributor

(thread title only)

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Co-workers, a few, but to me "socialize" is pretty broad. A boss? Several were my co-workers for years before they became "management". Did ride in a carpool with 1 that ended up being my boss years later. When carpooling on Grave Yard Shift, we did stop for a couple beers after work.

Blue collar in general did not socialize with management.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut   This was a very small law office.  The owner/attorney and 1 sometimes 2 associates and 4 secretaries.  I'm sure things are much different in giant law firms. 

Respected Contributor

Yes. I loved my co workers.❤️

Regular Contributor

Yes, I did, both.  I was lucky enough to have the best boss and I would consider her a friend.  When I socialized with her or coworkers, I just made sure I watched what I said about the workplace. I said nothing that would be considered confidential.

Respected Contributor

Not as a "regular" thing, but occasionally, everywhere I've ever worked.

I'm married to my current "boss" (we own our own business), so I see him a LOT! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

The firms I have worked at in the past - I did not really socialize with coworkers and definitely not my bosses.  I worked at much bigger firms than I do now and it never really came up.  (1 firm in particular - I couldn't wait to leave at the end of the day, so I sure wasn't sticking around to hang out).

My current firm - yes.  We do frequent lunches, we do Saturday shopping trips a few times a year, movies, went to a concert last year.  And I'll say - it's good until..... it isn't.  2 years ago I went to Exuma with a few coworkers for a long weekend, and I saw a side of someone I could have done without seeing.  Ever since then, I've stepped back a little.

Honored Contributor

I have had both types of gatherings. some of the bosses or higher up's were fun to be around, some where very anti social.

One of the bosses use to have gatherings at her house once a year with a catered dinner. it was ever such a nice affair. she would have social hour before dinner was served. She was transferred to a new job, i missed those gatherings once she left.

there was christmas gatherings for children where my dh works for many years. as the kids grew up, less people showed up so eventually the christmas kids party was just left to expire.