Honored Contributor

Re: Do Any Of You Belong to Ancestry.Com?

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

My perspective, @Annabellethecat66 -

I would think that a year's membership would be ideal; she can renew if she wants to go on.

Be aware that whatever she finds, creates and puts up on the Ancestry site, i.e. whatever info she gathers - if it isn't transferred to her computer in some way, for example by software that Ancestry also sells (big surprise), once Ancestry is no longer getting paid - no one renews - you are LOCKED OUT of your tree and all the info you've discovered.

Basically, you need to copy everything to your computer or you will lose it all the minute you stop paying. Been there and done that. Everyone contemplating doing genealogy research on Ancestry should be aware of this.

As far as the World membership - unless you have specific places relatives lived within specific timeframes, it may not be needed. If you don't have some specifics to go on, the extra money spent for the World membership might be wasted. OTOH, if you have documents from other countries or other firm info to go in, it might be worth it.

I did ALL my research through US Census records.

@Moonchilde    The Family Tree Maker software interfaces with Ancestry ... when one is updated - it automatically updates the other.  The trees are linked.  No need to lose all your research.

I think Family Tree Maker costs about $50 for the software.   I have my trees linked - and backup up on flash drive.  I don't want to lose 25 years of research!

Right, @ALRATIBA - that's the software I was referring to. And yes, no one needs to lose it all - IF they buy the software or keep up their subscription. But people who for whatever reason don't buy the software are not told and may not realize that they can and will lose their work if they DON'T do something while they have options.

I got to a point where I had done as much work as I wanted to do, knew as much as I believed I could find out, and was content with that. So I stopped my $25/mo payments without having copied the data over. Now I have zero access. 

Since I've gone on to DNA testing at 23andme and FTDNA as well as Ancestry, the latter two allow you to upload raw data. I have toyed with the idea of paying for a 6 mo. sub to get at the data and transfer it that way, but you still can't do any more research unless you keep paying them. I wish they offered lesser fees for lesser services. I didn't think $25/mo was particularly cheap ten years ago, and now that I'm retired it's money I'd rather have go to other things. If it was, say, $15 for reduced services, I'd be comfortable with that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I would ask her if she would like this --- before spending the money.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I actually just sent my "sample" in today. My daughter and her dh used the Christmas money we sent them a couple of years ago to have their DNA done just 'cuz. My daughter recently sent me a link to get the kit at 30% off, so I ordered it. I'll be 72 in less than two weeks, so I ask myself, why would I care now? Just thought it would be interesting.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only 'old timer' (I assume you are, maybe not as old as me...Ha!) who is doing this.

My daughter did it on her own.  She said, "For all these years I've heard my great, great grandmother was an Indian, I want to know how much and if it's real".  Ha!  We'll see.  Actually, I think on my late husband's side his mother's family is some kind of Indian descent.  Who knows?  

I just can't help but think this is bunk!  I just find it hard to believe someone is going to all of our spit (can you imagine the Christmas rush) and analyze my spit, your spit...we all spit!  Sorry, couldn't resist.  I have no idea what she paid for it but it was my Christmas present.  Ha!  It is difficult to get me gifts because if I want something I just buy it so it all works for me.  Besides she takes care of my tax stuff, my investments, etc, that is the best gift.

You must come back and let us know what your's says.  Are you very curious?  I am not really in the least as my mother has said her parents came from Scotland and Ireland.

It just seems like everyone has such similar backgrounds, I'm suspicious.

@pattypeep Did you read my account of doing the 'sample'?  I don't make enough spit (I take medicine to make spit), so it was funny me trying to come up with the spit to fill up that little tube!  We had more fun laughing at that than anything.  She kept saying, "Those are bubbles Mom.  That's not spit....keep going".  I said, "You're a slave driver".  I wonder if that is an example of things to come....you know the mom becomes the kid and vice-versa...Ha!  I'm pretty hard headed and headstrong and don't take much from my girls.  I've always been very honest with them (sometimes they don't like it).  My mother was what some might call a B but I didn't mind knowing what was on her mind.  She wasn't mean, just brutally honest.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, unless one has a parent or grandparent who is Native American, there are several reasons why NA ancestry might not show up, esp if it's great-great or g-g-g and only on one side. There are few to no specific DNA markers and tests for "NA" except for 1-2 tribes. So, people who believe, or know, that they have NA ancestry but it doesn't show up in DNA - very possible, and common. I had a known NA great-great grandmother and my DNA shows no NA. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  Hi. No, I didn't read your post about lack of spit (LOL) was that in a different thread? Actually, I had postponed sending mine in for the same reason and also due to Christmas packages going hither and yon.  This morning my mouth felt extra juicy, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The blue liquid wouldn't come down and as I kept shaking, I started losing the valuable spit. Darn. Spit some more, shook some more. Think it took, but hope there's enough in there for the good folks to get a read. I will be 72 on Feb. 1. Don't know if that beats you or not. LOL Everyone that knows me says I will never grow old. I guess I'm just curious about the DNA. Don't expect any surprises and don't care about finding long lost relatives. My daughter has Cherokee Indian somewhere down the line, so I suppose that's what she was wondering. I feel so bad whenever you mention losing your dear dh. It's good to talk about it, though, and we love being here for you to lend an ear. God Bless. Hope we keep in touch.

Hugs

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep Glad to know I wasn't the only one having difficulty coming up with enough spit!

I turned 70 in December.  My girls gave me a big birthay party.  It was great fun.  They hired a limo for me and my friends because it was out in the country and we don't drive in the dark late.

Saw lots of old friends and family.  They had pictures of me from where I was little and of me and their Dad.  I loved it.

I go to the ends of the earth for them (whatever they need or want).  People have joked about "Will your mom adopt me?"  an I always ask them, "Do you tell them, 'not so fast....she can be a pain'?  Ha!  In other words I told them 'a party would be nice' and left it at that.

I love gadgets and try to stay up on things.  I have 7 grandchildren (14, 13, almost 10, 10, 8, 5 and 4).  I'm very close to them and see the oldest daughter's children quite often.  I take them places (i.e. movies, shopping, etc).  We discuss makeup, drones (grandson), teen books, etc.  You have to stay up on things if you want to discuss stuff with younger people.  I love teenagers.  They're so alive an fun.  My next door neighbor (an 18 year old Senior) helps me do everything.  We have amazing discussions.

You sound a lot like me.  Curious about life and the world.  I do miss my man.  He was so amazing!  He loved every minute of life and really believed in experiencing every minute of it.  It's almost as if he knew he was going to die young (in his 50's) suddenly.

Take care and I enjoy our back and forth...fondly Annabelle/Linda