Contributor

Has your life been better or worse since you got divorced?

IT'S GOING TO BE A GREAT DAY!
Formerly catlover with over 10,000 posts
Super Contributor

@catlover7777 my life is much, much better!  The man that I was married to turned out to be a fake and an awful person.  He was a good provider (although I made way more money than he did and had a better career than he did.) is the only positive thing about him. I am at peace now with no bikering or foolishness.

Respected Contributor

Which one ?

Respected Contributor

Been there, done that twice. I made the mistake of marrying again after husband #1. It wasn't always easy. but I've lived alone for the past 26 years and I have no regrets. I guess it was probably easier on me than most as there were no children involved. Good luck  to you in your new life.

Honored Contributor

I can look back and see that I have never been stronger. I'm still in awe of what I accomplished. Even better is to look at my kids and see their strength, sucesses, joy, and families. I had a great career and succeeded in ways I never expected.

I'd rather be alone than with someone who makes my life miserable. 

Honored Contributor

Edited because of the OP's later comment (see post #25).  Not sure what the motive was for asking this question, but I've decided to remove my information. 

Esteemed Contributor
It was 47 yrs ago. I made a mistake. He turned out to be a deadbeat and I was too young to figure it out at first. He left me for another woman while I was in the hospital after having our son. It was very difficult at first, but I surprised myself with my strength. Who knew?

I was soon glad it happened.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Well.....I am at the tail end of a divorce after 47 years of marriage---and CANNOT wait---to sign those papers--he was a mediocre at best, husband and a horrible father------what in the HE#L was I thinking---this was #2 for me and there will be no more---

Respected Contributor

It was easy for me because I was young, had a good job, and had no children.  It would have been a totally different story under other circumstances.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I am much happier now that I'm divorced.  I have no hard feelings, I just want to be happy, and he apparently is happier now too.  There is nothing like driving home after a long day at work, and knowing that the house will be clean, peaceful, and is mine vs. driving home and dreading seeing his car there, knowing he is at home. 

Would I do it again? I absolutely would - I have a wonderful son out of that marriage. 

Being single isn't all unicorns and rainbows, you have to be confident, be able to either afford or do small household repairs/jobs yourself, be able to be happy being alone, and make plans for the future (retirement), knowing that you will be responsible for yourself, and no one else will be there to support or split the bills with. 

I think that once you emotionaly check out of a marriage, it's over and no sense in prolonging the misery.

......You look like I need a drink.....