Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Hope this doesn’t sound selfish, but when many of our couple friends divorced, it was sad for them, but also affected us. The divorced women (when married, we all met for lunch), now formed their own groups of divorced women. The couples we went out with, of course now dissolved, left us with only a small group of friends. 

@Shanus It’s not selfish, it’s true. Happened to me.

Honored Contributor

Life is short, everyone deserves a chance at happiness. What we want at 20, sometimes changes when we get older. I don't judge.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

i am actually more saddened by those in miserable marriages that do not get divorced.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor
Sadly, I know too many women in bad, abusive relationships - verbal or physical or both - that NEED to get divorced and so far have not done it. It feels like there is an epidemic of abusive men.
Honored Contributor

Divorced 28 years ago..my ex was a good man..after we married he became a Jehovah's witness and well...we went our separate ways. We had a choice and both knew which one we wanted. No bitterness whatsoever. Life is wonderful.

Having experienced great love as well loss. I came to realize relationships are not for me. Love living alone! Did I say I love living alone?! I do I do I do. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

my ex and i get along better now than the end of our marriage and going through the divorce. we actually go out together as a family every so often, especially on birthdays and during special occasions. we also talk almost every day and live within a few miles of each other.

i have a s/o and he is great also.....we have a long distance relationship that works well.

will never get married again. once was more than enough.

i dont even encourage my children to marry....at least no time soon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I was married to my first husband for five long, painful years.  I should have backed out on my wedding day as I knew I was making a huge mistake.  I mean how often to you go to your neighborhood bar at 4:00 in the afternoon and see a bride in all her bridal glory, with her siblings (my brothers were giving me away and my sister was maid of honor), slugging beer out of the bottle and playing pool?  Yeah, if you were there, that was me. 

I was young and dumb, marrying a man I thought I loved, but in reality I look back and realize I didn't.  He went from Mr. Nice Guy (but a bit odd) to Mr. Control Freak with a lousy temper and mean streak a mile long overnight. We went on to have a daughter and he was a lousier father than he was husband.  That's when I called it quits.

I stayed single, raising a child alone, without child support from Mr. Wonderful - which was fine as he had no interest in her anyway.  When she was in her teens I met a wonderful guy and we dated for several years before marrying.  My daughter considers him her dad and we just celebrated our 25th anniversary.

We all make "mistakes" and I freely admit mine was a doozy, but there's always a way out.

Honored Contributor

Getting divorced was one of the best decisions I ever made. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Sadly, I know too many women in bad, abusive relationships - verbal or physical or both - that NEED to get divorced and so far have not done it. It feels like there is an epidemic of abusive men.

In the over 65 age group, I see many women who are verbally abusing their husbands and emotionally ignoring them. During their working years, they were active and involved in many things. The wife wanted to retire in another home and/or location. These men are lost and their wives are wearing the pants. The role-reversal is devestating for them. The women seem to like the "take charge" role and don't realize (or care?) how painful it is for their husband. I don't get it; seems to selfish.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

I was married to my first husband for five long, painful years.  I should have backed out on my wedding day as I knew I was making a huge mistake.  I mean how often to you go to your neighborhood bar at 4:00 in the afternoon and see a bride in all her bridal glory, with her siblings (my brothers were giving me away and my sister was maid of honor), slugging beer out of the bottle and playing pool?  Yeah, if you were there, that was me. 

I was young and dumb, marrying a man I thought I loved, but in reality I look back and realize I didn't.  He went from Mr. Nice Guy (but a bit odd) to Mr. Control Freak with a lousy temper and mean streak a mile long overnight. We went on to have a daughter and he was a lousier father than he was husband.  That's when I called it quits.

I stayed single, raising a child alone, without child support from Mr. Wonderful - which was fine as he had no interest in her anyway.  When she was in her teens I met a wonderful guy and we dated for several years before marrying.  My daughter considers him her dad and we just celebrated our 25th anniversary.

We all make "mistakes" and I freely admit mine was a doozy, but there's always a way out.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  That’s a bittersweet story, but happy it worked out so well for you in the end.