Honored Contributor

Re: Divorce - American Style

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Years ago I worked with a guy who did that to his wife.  After many years together he left her with nothing.  She went to work as a telelphone operator to be able to pay her rent.  Then he married someone else who divorced him.  I ran into him one day in the grocery store and he actually had the nerve to ask me out.  UMMMMM, No. 

Worked with another guy who I think was hard to live with.  He made sure his wife understood that he was the boss!  She told him she wanted a divorce, and he told her she could leave anytime but she wouldn't get anything out of him.  She also had no backup or means of support.  Well, she up and disappeared.  Nobody knew where she went.  In the Spring time he and his son were cleaning up the back yard from the winter.  Son found mom in a sleeping bag under some bushes.  She had committed suicide in October and lay in the snow for 6 months.

Some relationships just boggle my mind.

Oh how awful.  So sorry, that woman was obviously in so much pain.

@Scooby Doo

Esteemed Contributor

If you make a decision to do nothing about your own financial security until your partner goes out the door or files, it's a bit too late.

After all, they've been planning for quite some time.

Esteemed Contributor

Then there is this story. Women marries man has 3 boys with him. They legally divorce but live in same house. She moves in new boyfriend and they have a baby. All under one roof. Now the ex husband watched the ex wife's baby so she and the boyfriend could go on vacation for the weekend. Divorce American Style indeed.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If a woman doesn't have a good job, she should always have a secret "nest egg" stashed away.  You never know what's going to happen. 

I taught my daughter this after her dad cleaned me out and moved to Europe.

Honored Contributor

Knowing community property is a state thing, I looked it up and was shocked to see it isn't every state.

Ladies, this is what feminism is about.  Elect more women, lobby for community property.  Women may not have worked for a salary, but they worked supporting their husband and possibly taking care of his and her children.

Getting nothing in a divorce is unacceptable.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

And that is why women should have their own accounts and their own money.  Otherwise, you're at someone else's mercy.

We've had a lot of threads here asking about seperate bank accounts.  A lot of women say they would never entertain the thought.  This is exactly the reason why.

It's very sad and heartless to clean out your accounts and leave the other spouse with nothing.  But it happens every day...

Yes...my husband and I always kept our own personal accounts and had some joint accounts. I'm not divorced, but he is living in a memory care facility, so it was for the greater good that everything was set up the way it was. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Knowing community property is a state thing, I looked it up and was shocked to see it isn't every state.

Ladies, this is what feminism is about.  Elect more women, lobby for community property.  Women may not have worked for a salary, but they worked supporting their husband and possibly taking care of his and her children.

Community property means sharing assets accumulated during marriage. One is entitled to keep what they brought into the marriage.

That said, you and your kids can go hungry while waiting for your asset to be sold.

Community property doesn't keep the lights on nor your kids fed.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Community property means sharing assets accumulated during marriage. One is entitled to keep what they brought into the marriage.

That said, you and your kids can go hungry while waiting for your asset to be sold.

This is when you go to court and ask for emergency temporary orders: custody, child support etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Emergency child support? 

Custody is usually not an issue. You come home, he's long gone, no where to be found.  There. You have been awarded custody.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Snowpuppy

That's the point, it's sharing assets acquired during the marriage.  But no, in this state kids don't go hungry.  The court can order a home sold if it hasn't gone to shelter the parent and children.

If there are no assets, that's a problem for all, but child support will be granted.  If one parent is a ne'er do well, that's a different kettle of fish.