Honored Contributor

Re: Dividing up cost of multi-family vacation house rentals

@scatcat wrote:

We have friends who are super frugal.  They have 3 kids. When they split a rental with a childless couple they divided it per person and paid per person. The childless coiuple thought that was fair. My frugal friends were all fussed up

They sound cheap.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

We have friends who are super frugal.  They have 3 kids. When they split a rental with a childless couple they divided it per person and paid per person. The childless coiuple thought that was fair. My frugal friends were all fussed up

They sound cheap.

@haddon9  Yes. Times 10

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our family and friends have done this multiple times.

With my family, we always split it per person.  So if you are married, husband and wife are each paying a share. They aren't considered 1.

We did this once with friends and our friends ended up bringing their adult daughter and her boyfriend.  They booked it and told us what we owed which was 50%.  I wasn't happy because IMO that should have been split 6 ways. They considered themselves 1 unit.   

Where someone sleeps, etc. doesn't come into the equation.

There are definitely people I would never do this with because we know it will be a disaster.  I would never do it with those friends again.  But with my family?  Absolutely.

The last time we did it was a house on Keuka Lake in the Fingers Lakes region of NY.  We had zero issues with anything.  The person doing the book asked everyone before hand if they wanted to go and laid out the terms.  You either agreed or didn't.  Not one person had an issue with anything.  

Regular Contributor

We've done this, but haven't had any problems. We find a lovely place through Home and Away, and the house rental is on us. We've only done this with our family members, including our grandchildren. They always help buying the groceries and we get to babysit. Smiley Happy So far, we've gone to Cape Cod, Woodstock and Breckinridge.

Respected Contributor

When one of my Son's got married in their favorite place in NC ~ We all live all over the country, so had to rent a large cabin.  We divided up the cost of the rental evenly by bedrooms.  All the bedrooms had 2 beds, except for the master, and the Children gave that one to Us.  So, our two youngest Sons took a bedroom together, and they split the cost of that bedroom between them.  

Everything worked out fine.  No squabbles, etc.  HTH

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

@SoX wrote:

Wouldn't do it at any cost ... ever again.   We opted to pay the lion's share to get the master bedroom, because it had the whirlpool bathtub.  Even then, the other couple (with their 2 kids) were resentful.

Now you couldn't pay me to share a house with another couple or family.

I agree.  Never have done this and never would.  It seems like there will always be someone who is not satisfied and I wouldn't want that drama.  It would ruin the whole vacation and probably after, too.

Respected Contributor

We participated in several vacations with DH's big family (any where from 10 to 17 primarily adults)  One or two family members collaborated in locating the rental which met the needs of the group.  Basic criteria: each room had to have a private bathroom; had to have an elevator.   They tried their best to keep room and mattress size equal, ie., avoid bunk beds.  The search for rental started 4-6 months in advance.

The total cost was divided by the number of rooms.   Paid by # of rooms used.  Since most drove we did bring supplies and food/beverages. For the most part we didn't eat breakfast or lunch together, but did eat family style for dinner.  Sometimes we ate out, which was pre-planned.  We pooled the cost of food purchased at our destination.

We rarely ran into problems because we were family and worked together to make it enjoyable for all.  The only drag was as usual the able bodied females got stuck cooking and keeping the place tidy.