Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disturbing: 13 Year old New York Boy

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Why didn't the parents remove him from that school and place him in a different school?????   It appears they were aware of the bullying?  !ike it or not teachers are powerless when it comes to bullying.  They aren't with the kids every minute of the school day and the victims are often too intimidated and ashamed to give details and actually name the perpetrators.  Sometimes a parents only recourse is to remove your child from an abusive environment.  

Read the story.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I think the bullies should suffer some sort of consequences.  Now, the entire burden seems to rest on the victim.

Why can't the bullies be removed?

..because isn't fair .    And bullies aren't stupid.  They know how to hide what they are doing and they are also excellent liars.  There is nothing new about bullying,  you don't irry about what's fair, you get your kid away from them.  Everyone failed that boy, especially his parents.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Montana wrote:

I think the bullies should suffer some sort of consequences.  Now, the entire burden seems to rest on the victim.

..because isn't fair .    And bullies aren't stupid.  They know how to hide what they are doing and they are also excellent liars.  There is nothing new about bullying,  you don't irry about what's fair, you get your kid away from them.  Everyone failed that boy, especially his parents.

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Montana wrote:

Fair?  It is not fair for a child (who likely has other club members) bully another child or children.  That's not what we send them to school for.  Every single child found bullying should be suspended.  Let their parents teach them that words cut like a knife and can cause harm.  It will cause parents to have to "be parents again, though." 

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Prayers for this boy's family and friends.  May he rest in peace.

I agree with a zero tolerance policy.  

Warning and apology to the victim in writing admitting what actions were unacceptable.

Suspension from school 

Three strikes and the bully is permanatly removed from school.

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

Prayers for this boy's family and friends.  May he rest in peace.

I agree with a zero tolerance policy.  

Warning and apology to the victim in writing admitting what actions were unacceptable.

Suspension from school 

Three strikes and the bully is permanatly removed from school.

EXACTLY!

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Children in that age group are basically cruel especially to someone a little different.  I don't see how any school can control this.  Probably a lot of it goes on outside the school grounds.  

You are so right! When I was teaching I did my best to stop bullies in their tracks, but with the new technology it's hard! We caught on bully taking pix of another boy to post on line to make fun of! The victim was a sad case and would have been devastated! Fortunately the bully's parents stepped up and nipped it in the bud!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry but, this is how I feel about it ..... the mother & father of the young boy who committed suicide is at fault here ... they should have taken him out of that school as soon as they realized that the school was not taking any corrective action ... for the boy to go as far as killing himself he had to be showing some kind of odd behavior at home .... the parents should have noticed that something was wrong .... now the parents will blame the school for his suicide to take the guilt off themselves .. the school was wrong & should be investigated & charged & the class mates who did the bullying should be punished & thrown out of school & a "mark" should be put on their names and remain there for the rest of their lives .... may the soul of the young boy rest in peace.

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

Sorry but, this is how I feel about it ..... the mother & father of the young boy who committed suicide is at fault here ... they should have taken him out of that school as soon as they realized that the school was not taking any corrective action ...THEY DID TAKE HIM OUT OF THE SCHOOL

for the boy to go as far as killing himself he had to be showing some kind of odd behavior at home .... the parents should have noticed that something was wrong  YOU MEAN OTHER THAN BEING SINGLED OUT AND TORTURED ON A DAILY BASIS?

"

The teen's family said that staff at Holy Angels Catholic Academy made things worse when a teacher called him "lazy" in front of the class.

(JEFF BACHNER/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

.... now the parents will blame the school for his suicide to take the guilt off themselves .. the school was wrong & should be investigated & charged & the class mates who did the bullying should be punished & thrown out of school & a "mark" should be put on their names and remain there for the rest of their lives .... may the soul of the young boy rest in peace.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Parents should be held responsible for their children's behavior. 

That it's  accepted 13 year old children are cruel is nonsense. Lots of children aren't cruel, no matter their age. Bullying is, for the most part, showing off for their friends. Getting attention at another's  expense. It is the fault of the parents. Siblings teasing their brothers and sisters is tolerated. There are cameras on school buses, why aren't  they in the hallways and classrooms?

?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My heart broke for this little boy and his family when I read the story....truly. There is a lot of blame to go around here, most of it already identified in your posts. 

The failure of the school to implement ( which should have already been there) a zero tolerance bullying policy has to laid be at their feet first though. That is such a vulnerable age and to inflict that type of pain on kids on a daily basis causes permanent damage to their self esteem and mental stability. I doubt if any kid who ever got bullied in school has ever forgotten the pain it caused them...again, it's a permanent mark on one's soul. 

Shame on this school for their blatent failure to protect this little boy, their student. The Catholic schools of my day would NEVER have allowed this...NEVER. They were super strict and the paddle or ruler would come across your hand for much,much less. These type bullies didn't exist because there was no question as to what their fate would have been if bullying ever crossed their minds. 

This family will never totally heal, but my heartfelt wishes go out to them as they try to  overcome this needless tragedy. 

Rest in peace, Daniel.