Valued Contributor

District of Columbia Being Shortchanged in Stimulus Bill

The nation's capitol, the District of Columbia, will be shortchanged if the Senate version of the bill is passed.  Hopefully changes will be made before the House passes the bill.  DC could lose over $700 million if it treated as a territory and not as a state.  The District is treated like a state in most other legislation why not now?  Residents of the city pay federal taxes.  Now the Senate wants to treat them like second class citizens.  This is another example of why DC needs to become a state.  DC has more cases of covid-19 than some states.  The ferderal government and the federal workforce fills the offices and streets of DC every Monday - Friday.  The residents of the city deserve better.  I'm contacting my representative to let them know this is unacceptable.

Valued Contributor

Re: District of Columbia Being Shortchanged in Stimulus Bill

DC pays more in federal taxes than 22 states. 

Here is a quote from the mayor of DC, “It would be unconscionable to provide the District, which pays the most in federal taxes per capita, with the least amount of relief funding per capita of any state,” 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the specifics of how they distribute the monies; I do know the Senate is leaving for about a month, not to return until late April or later.  PFFFFT!

Respected Contributor

Due to the limited flight options, members participating in self-quarantine, and several states mandating stay-at-home orders, congressional leaders announced that the House will vote to approve the bill by voice vote - without the need for all members to return to the Capitol to participate in a recorded roll call vote.

"Members who want to come to the House Floor to debate this bill will be able to do so. In addition, we are working to ensure that those who are unable to return to Washington may express their views on this legislation remotely."

The Senate will not meet again for legislative business until April 20. The upper chamber will still meet every few days for pro forma sessions, where additional measures may be considered amid the ongoing crisis.

Once the bill clear the House, the lower chamber is also expected to take a long recess while the country recovers from the pandemic.