Honored Contributor

Disposing of aerosol spray cans also

They're recyclable when completely empty only!  If you need to dispose of one that's only half used, take it outside, put newspaper down and spray the contents into it until the can is completely empty.  (I wear a face mask when I do this).  They can explode like a bomb if disposed of with liquid still in them.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Disposing of aerosol spray cans also

@LilacTree

Great information. I assumed that they were on the recycle list, but I wasn't 100 % sure.

I don't remember a time when I didn't use the product in my aerosol can down to it's last "poof"of air, but just in case I don't, this is good to know.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's a catch 22 - if you empty the can to recycle you're putting some bad stuff in the air (environmentally) .....and if you recycle the can and trash is burned or whatever....you've got a bomb.  Right now I have 2 cans not empty but I don't want to spray-paint part of my house with bright orange paint just to empty the can.  What's your suggestion I do?

Honored Contributor

Google it.  Paint aerosol cans are on the same page as the regular aerosol cans I spoke of.

@fthunt

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's a catch 22 - if you empty the can to recycle you're putting some bad stuff in the air (environmentally) .....and if you recycle the can and trash is burned or whatever....you've got a bomb.  Right now I have 2 cans not empty but I don't want to spray-paint part of my house with bright orange paint just to empty the can.  What's your suggestion I do?

@fthunt, look up the website for your city or town.  Here in NYC, our website is NYC.gov, and I can find information on any municipal issue.  For instance, I can find the Dept of Sanitation website via a drop-down list, and then I can look up proper disposal methods for any kind of trash -- regular, recycling, organic, etc.  It also provides information for disposing of hazardous materials and items.  Disposing of paint (in cans or spray cans) is not permitted here, but instructions are provided on how and where to dispose of them properly and safely.

Honored Contributor

We were told that you are also supposed to remove the sprayer nozzle before they are recycled.

Honored Contributor

Our township has a few hazardous waste disposal days every year and we can take things like that there.