Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CJC wrote:
I live near Disney, so our local news is full of the opening news. Today I watched in amazement as visitors in wheelchairs and parents with strollers entered park as if they had not a care in the world. People screaming in the rides, throwing those cute little droplets everywhere. Have Americans lost their minds? Are they blind to what is happening down here in FL? Is it vacation at any cost, at any risk?

I watched parts of a few live streams. I love Disney. Little kids were touching EVERYTHING. Adults were leaning on things and touching them, probably without realizing, and then touching their masks. I don't blame them, really. It's hot standing outside in line in the Florida heat. 

Very little Purell use or hand washing. It was not required. In some of the merchandise areas, people bunched up and did not social distance. Also I guess at one point it rained and everyone all bunched up and huddled together in different places to escape the rain. I feel bad for the cast members.

@Porcelain 

@CJC 

It must be hot there.  Were people wearing masks or face coverings?   Wearing a mask or face covering is mandatory in Florida, correct?

"Staying home to stay safe."

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Yes, they were wearing masks. Entire families wearing masks. People were following rules. It wasn't a free for all. Spots for families to stand together distanced from others were clearly marked. The seating on Country Bears, for example, had big areas where people could not sit.

It's just that Disney World is a huge place and human beings are human beings. They can't stop the rides each time someone gets out in order to clean the cars. They can't clean the queue areas every time someone touches a wall. As long as the lines are short, and people remember to follow all safety guidelines, I think they'll be okay. I hope they will be.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

How the heck will some masks stay on during a rollercoaster that goes at high speeds?

How about getting wet on the log ride?

That's a good question.  My morning news has a guy that really likes roller coasters and he tested the mask on one and was surprised it worked okay.  But, I never thought about water rides.  I wonder if they are just not running them or giving out new masks at the end?

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@EatWell wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CJC wrote:
I live near Disney, so our local news is full of the opening news. Today I watched in amazement as visitors in wheelchairs and parents with strollers entered park as if they had not a care in the world. People screaming in the rides, throwing those cute little droplets everywhere. Have Americans lost their minds? Are they blind to what is happening down here in FL? Is it vacation at any cost, at any risk?

I watched parts of a few live streams. I love Disney. Little kids were touching EVERYTHING. Adults were leaning on things and touching them, probably without realizing, and then touching their masks. I don't blame them, really. It's hot standing outside in line in the Florida heat. 

Very little Purell use or hand washing. It was not required. In some of the merchandise areas, people bunched up and did not social distance. Also I guess at one point it rained and everyone all bunched up and huddled together in different places to escape the rain. I feel bad for the cast members.

@Porcelain 

@CJC 

It must be hot there.  Were people wearing masks or face coverings?   Wearing a mask or face covering is mandatory in Florida, correct?

"Staying home to stay safe."

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Yes, they were wearing masks. Entire families wearing masks. People were following rules. It wasn't a free for all. Spots for families to stand together distanced from others were clearly marked. The seating on Country Bears, for example, had big areas where people could not sit.

It's just that Disney World is a huge place and human beings are human beings. They can't stop the rides each time someone gets out in order to clean the cars. They can't clean the queue areas every time someone touches a wall. As long as the lines are short, and people remember to follow all safety guidelines, I think they'll be okay. I hope they will be.

@Porcelain   They are doing thorough cleanings at the end of each ride. I’ve seen videos where people wreck standing and waiting while rides are cleaned. I don’t think anything where people get on/off in random places is operational. There were a lot of comments about the people mover not being available to use and I’ll bet that is why. No shuttles from cars to entrance either. Only a couple parks are open, not everything.

They can’t prevent everything but they even have lines on the pavement to keep people away from center dividers, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Disney, what the??

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

@Porcelain   They are doing thorough cleanings at the end of each ride. I’ve seen videos where people wreck standing and waiting while rides are cleaned. I don’t think anything where people get on/off in random places is operational. There were a lot of comments about the people mover not being available to use and I’ll bet that is why. No shuttles from cars to entrance either. Only a couple parks are open, not everything.

They can’t prevent everything but they even have lines on the pavement to keep people away from center dividers, etc.

That sounds good. I haven't seen any official statements saying they are doing this on each ride, but I hope they are. That would be great if they can do it. Universal Studios just makes people take a squirt of sanitizer on their hands before each ride, the way they do on some cruise ships to fight norovirus. Inelegant but effective.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Disney, what the??

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

Willdob3 - I saw video that a guest shot while they were waiting to get on It's a Small World. One castmember cleaned the left side of each row and another castmember cleaned the right side of each row. And it looked like one group to a boat.

Since they just cleaned the car, it goes empty through the ride. 

I can not imagine the hundreds of hours of meetings and training that went on. 

Respected Contributor

What the ??   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Honored Contributor

I certainly hope that it doesn't incur illnesses. I understand the financial reason for reopening the park, but IMO, such a non-essential business should remain shut until Florida gets control over the virus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

That sounds good. I haven't seen any official statements saying they are doing this on each ride, but I hope they are. That would be great if they can do it. Universal Studios just makes people take a squirt of sanitizer on their hands before each ride, the way they do on some cruise ships to fight norovirus. Inelegant but effective.

@Porcelain   

I’ve watched several YouTube videos about the opening and every one of them showed employees cleaning - they are cleaning EVERYTHING all the time! The benches in the street, the handrails, the tables, the rides. There are hand sanitizer stations but Disney, in that leave no stone unturned way only Disney has, has thought of everything. Or close to it. 

It is obvious that they are really limiting how many people are allowed in the park at one time. I think people waiting to get in give their cell phone # and they get a call or text when they can go in. Something like that. 

These first people going to Disney are mostly hardcore Mickey fans who normally go to Disney a lot. Going in on Passholder day, they were greeted by Disney employees with, “Welcome home!” And the people loved it. That is what it was like for them. Disney is like heir second home, their favorite place to go. They want this to work and are doing everything to follow all of the rules. Not everyone is likely to be so co-operative but I hope that thought proves to be wrong.

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@CJC wrote:

@CJC 

I’ve been watching videos made by passholders who attended and, I have to say, what I am seeing looks pretty good. Temperature checks before being admitted. Masks, social distancing even on rides, tons of cleaning, etc. Pretty deserted park. 

How they will handle things for the for the general public tomorrow, I don’t know. But if anyone can succeed at opening in a healthy and safe way, it is going to be Disney. 

-Just to be clear, they couldn’t pay me enough to convince me to go myself. I am unlikely even to ever go in a store again.... 

-----   
I hope you're not serious about never going in a store again.! 

There has to be a common sense middle ground, between hiding in your house, scrubbing your mail with sanitizer, leaving it in the garage, for days, and gaily proclaiming you're living your life, and refuse to take a single precaution, in fact, you're proud to engage in high risk activities!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I certainly hope that it doesn't incur illnesses. I understand the financial reason for reopening the park, but IMO, such a non-essential business should remain shut until Florida gets control over the virus.

@suzyQ3   What makes you think Florida is going to start trying to get control over the virus? I’ve heard nothing to suggest that ever. 

I think Disney should stay open and Florida should shut down. From what I am seeing, that would make more sense.