Trusted Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

All these comments (solutions) make me glad I don't have a dishwasher!

@Shaunac  Not everyone who has a dishwasher has this problem. I don’t. 

I commented further back about checking the filter. I’m curious how a dishwasher that gets run with scalding hot water could still smell bad. 

Trusted Contributor

@Actsmart wrote:

Lemi-Shine products are the best! I use the dishwasher detergent pods, the dishwasher detergent booster shakers that make the dishwasher look like new! The Lemi-Shine dishwasher cleaner packets, the garbage disposal packets, the clothes washer packets are all really great products. A GE rep and a plumber recommended them to me and now I use all of the products. They are citrus based. My dishes have never looked cleaner, the glasses sparkle, and the bottom of the dishwasher looks new. HIghly recommend. I find them at Kroger, Walmart, Target.

They sure are! Never have any odor in any of my appliances using these products.  First of the month, they all get treated with lemi-shine!! Everything is sparkling clean!!

Trusted Contributor

They also have a cleaner for your dishwasher you just run it empty thru the cycle and it takes out most odors. Look for it next time you go shopping in the dishwasher soap area.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If you don't have Mr. Scrappy you need to get one!  It is a brush that cleans the garbage disposal in a way nothing else does!  

Amazon used to have then and maybe still does!  But in any case everyone needs one of these and it is something I learned about on these boards! 

Mr. scrappy where have you been all my life?  I just received it and it is the best thing for cleaning the garbage disposal and sink, thank you for the recommendation!  I bought it on ebay.

Valued Contributor

The USA passed a law maybe ten years ago to make appliances water efficient. This has impacted dishwashers and washing machines. Dishwashing powder had to be changed. Don't buy the cheap stuff, buy the name brands according to the testing in consumer reports, powerball or cascade - top of the line. The fishy smell is likely mold or mildew, hence the advice to use bleach or vinegar. We moved into this house four years ago and immediately had to replace the not very old dishwasher due to the mildew smell. It could be anything that allows the mildew or mold to grow anywhere including in the drain tube or in the bottom. Not every repair person knows little details. If your drain tube is too long, maybe it doesn't drain well or is coated with soap scum which grows bacteria. Professor Amos on HSN or Amazon has a product that clears out the scum and can be used in dishwashers, but check this out as I have not used it in my dishwasher. Fast PM.  Works good in our bathroom sink. Consumers Reports says that our front loader washing machines can smell when we aren't drying the rubber gasket after use, or if the drain hose is too low hanging down in the drain. Front loaders don't drain completely due to how they are made to save water and I wonder if a dishwasher holds water in the same way if it doesn't drain well? Let us know if you find an answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@depglass wrote:

Off topic, but Consumer Reports says do not rinse your dishes, just scrape off the big chunks. Rinsing throws off the sensing ability of the dishwasher.  Another observation:  Any smell will not stick to your dishes, there is no need to rinse them again.  I know its easy to get compulsive about this, but some people might as well chuck the dishwasher and go back to doing them by hand.  

I read about this years ago and don't rinse, just scrape. Never see any stuff in the bottom of the dishwasher.

You are right @proudlyfromNJ scrape don't rinse. The detergent doesn't work if you rinse. 

Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

All these comments (solutions) make me glad I don't have a dishwasher!

@Shaunac I would get rid of a lot of things before my dish washer, and there are just two of us.  No dishes sitting around, start it at night when we go to bed and everything is clean and ready to go in the morning.

I've never had smell issues with one, but maybe part of it is that we run it every day, loaded or not, so things don't sit around in there. 

Honored Contributor
Mine drains right next to the sink above the garbage disposal. I have never had a prob with odors but grind up pieces of oranges and lemons periodically and run them through the disposal, it leaves a fresh smell and cleans the blades. I also run vinegar and baking soda through my dishwasher and it has never had an odor, may be just doing it routinely keeps the doors from developing.
Frequent Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I run a dishwasher cycle using a product called Affresh, recommended in the product leaflet.  I use it every two months or so, so it lasts longer than 10 days.  I wonder if your water pressure is low, and causing less water to circulate during the rinse cycle?. 

My washing machine also gets a dose of the washer version of Affresh once in a while.  

That's a good product.