Super Contributor

I hate it when the inside of a dishwasher looks like someone barfed in it so I always rince dishes very well.

1x a month I use Finish to clean it. We have a new Bosch-very quiet.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Off topic, but Consumer Reports says do not rinse your dishes, just scrape off the big chunks. Rinsing throws off the sensing ability of the dishwasher.  Another observation:  Any smell will not stick to your dishes, there is no need to rinse them again.  I know its easy to get compulsive about this, but some people might as well chuck the dishwasher and go back to doing them by hand.  

I read about this years ago and don't rinse, just scrape. Never see any stuff in the bottom of the dishwasher.

Occasional Contributor

Lemi-Shine products are the best! I use the dishwasher detergent pods, the dishwasher detergent booster shakers that make the dishwasher look like new! The Lemi-Shine dishwasher cleaner packets, the garbage disposal packets, the clothes washer packets are all really great products. A GE rep and a plumber recommended them to me and now I use all of the products. They are citrus based. My dishes have never looked cleaner, the glasses sparkle, and the bottom of the dishwasher looks new. HIghly recommend. I find them at Kroger, Walmart, Target.

Honored Contributor

My dishwasher has a fishy smell once in a while also. I just change detergents and it goes away. I always thought the smell was because we have well water. I guess not. 

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I put a couple 'glugs' of vinegar in the bottom of my dishwasher everytime I run it, and don't have any issues.  I scrape but don't rinse my dishes. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@zitawins 

I use this product, Finish dishwasher cleaner, every couple of months. I buy it from amazon in a four-pack.

Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Hygienic Clean

@GingerPeach 

I took your suggestion and ordered it from the big A and this one too-

Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner, 12 Tablets (2 Packs, 6 Tablets each) | Formulated to Clean Inside All Machine Models

I'll report back if I have an epiphany.

My cats eat wet food (mostly fish and chicken) and if we go more than two days before having to run it, it smells like a rotten wharf.  This is with pre-rinsing AND we have a garbage disposal.  I am hoping this works.  We usually mist the inside with a bleach/water solution each time we open it until we're ready to run it.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

I am very eager to hear which one works better for you.  My dishwasher is only a couple of years old, but my house (therefore drains, too) is about 40 years old. 

In any case, I hope you conquer the smell. All the best!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Dishwasher smells

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain @Burnsite  @lolakimono  I didn't even know there was a dishwasher version of Affresh.  Thank you for the tip!  I've been using the washing machine version all along and never new of the other.  I learned something new today!

Valued Contributor

I get fresh ginger in the produce section at my grocery store. Cut a few pieces and throw in DW. When you run a cycle, it smells great. Plus Ginger has natural anti-bacterial properties. Fresh lemons work, also. They are good with oily dishes. When you unload the DW discard ginger or lemons.  

Trusted Contributor

All these comments (solutions) make me glad I don't have a dishwasher!