Honored Contributor

Just have to chime in here.  My top-rated Kitchenaid dishwasher that was new to me in May, 2015, is now useless.  Nothing at all happens during the wash cycle.

Yes, it is under warranty, but although I reported the problem 3 days ago, they won't be able to get anyone out here to even look at it until March 29.  

Whirlpool is the parent company.  Buyer, beware.  

Respected Contributor

September, thank you for the heads up. Please keep me posted! We were seriously leaning towards another KA.

If it isn't too much trouble, can you tell me what model you have?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwasher croaked

[ Edited ]

I am now on my 4th dishwasher in 53 years first  a K A. portable. loved it and whe we remolded back in the 1970's I actually took the butcher block top off and had it installed and used the top for a cutting board. It lasted for years next bought a Montgomery Wards it was excellent for years  then GE now Kenmore from Sears love this dishwasher it is so quiet never hear it running and it cleans the dishes very well. good luck with what ever brand you decide on. I do like this Kenmore from Sears and they were wonderful to deal with. When this Kenmore decides to quit working I will get another one from Sears if they are still in business in our area and if I am still alive hey in my 70's its a down hill drag from now on.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dishwasher croaked

[ Edited ]

We had a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. After the electronic control board melted down (for the second time), that was it for Kenmore. 

Last summer, after the second Kenmore meltdown, we went with a Bosch. It's wonderful. Very silent. We know it's in operation by the red light shining on the floor. It does not have an automatic food grinder, but we've not found that to be a problem. I think we've cleaned the food grinder once since we've had it (July 2015). No weird odors. Nothing bad about it.

It doesn't dry plastics as well as we would like. But we knew that when we bought it. And we don't use much in the way of plastics, so it's not an issue for us.

It was a bit on the expensive side, but we are very pleased with its performance.

(Just as an FYI about Kitchen Aid. After the Kenmore bit the dust, I was in a store looking at dishwashers. A woman saw me open the door to a Kitchen Aid dishwasher and she came over to me and told me about her woes with her 3-month-old Kitchen Aid dishwasher. She had had nothing but trouble with her dishwasher. I thought it was a little weird that a complete stranger would talk to me about a dishwasher, but she said she happened to see looking at the dishwashers and she thought I should know about her problems. I thanked her for her time....and did not buy a Kitchen Aid.)

Contributor

Hello to all ,  we had to buy a dishwasher in 2015. We researched & then researched some more. My DH & I thought we  made the right choice with a Bosch. Quiet yes. But that is the only positive thing I can say about this machine.  We eat simple meals-nothing cheesy gooey or any meat& yet we have to rinse , thoroughly every item that goes in. Also after 3 months the latch on door is finicky.  I am glad the Bosch works for eveyone, yet, I will never buy one again. Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

I am sitting here laughing.  Thank goodness I am not trying to buy a new home. This dishwasher business is getting more complicated by the day. 

Honored Contributor

Funny the mention about KitchenAid dishwashers. I've had mine for over 14 years and still going strong. Maybe the more recent models are not as good to stand the test of time as the older models.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Henny, I just happen to have the paperwork sitting right here, so here is the model #: KDTM354DSS.

It was purchased at Home Depot, and was one of their top of the line models.  $1099, on sale.

I also paid an extra $100 for a 3 year protection plan.  I usually don't buy these extra warranties on appliances, but I'd been hearing stories about other people having dishwasher problems, so I felt it was the right thing to do.

However, when I called Home Depot to let them know it wasn't working, they referred me to Whirlpool, since it was less than 1 year old and still covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Respected Contributor

september, thank you so much for the added info. It all helps----lol!

We have had a general rule about extra policies, but now I am wondering if we shouldn't rethink that.

Let me know what the service person says if he/she ever shows up.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

september, thank you so much for the added info. It all helps----lol!

We have had a general rule about extra policies, but now I am wondering if we shouldn't rethink that.

Let me know what the service person says if he/she ever shows up.

I'm not on the schedule until the end of this month.  I went to the Home Depot website to read the latest reviews of this model, and most of them are still 5 stars.  However, there were about 1 dozen people who had the same problem as me, within 1 year of use, and many of them said they had to wait a long time for a repair person to come, and then had to wait even longer for a part to be ordered.  Of course, these people gave 1 star reviews.