Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If our dishwasher croaked, it would be me!

I don't have one. 

I have one but use it, at most, 2x per year.  So, in 25 years, it's been used 50x at most.  I hope it lasts another 25 years.

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady  When we moved into this house, I was dismayed to find the tines on both racks were showing rust.  I knew we would be replacing the machine 'sooner or later,' so didn't want to invest much into it.  

I used a Dremel to sand off as much rust as I could, then painted the tines with paint made just for that purpose.  For less than $20 it gave me another year's use, giving me time to settle in.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Mine is a Kenmore, but I didn't choose it as it was in this house when we bought it 15 years ago.

It's been really good AND it's pretty quiet.  I think quietness would be one of the characteristics I would look for if I had to replace.

Also, being that this is an older one it doesn't have a stainless steel interior.  I think that is something that I would want - quiet and stainless steel.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

When we had our kitchen remodelled in Pa I had a custom kitchen done and we got a Bosch. It was expensive but worth every cent. It broke my heart to leave it behind. Here our builder used all builder grade GE appliances, but, honestly, my dishes are just as clean as they were when i had the very expensive Bosch. The Bosch was larger and it superheated the water so the dishes were steralized every time they were washed. I miss the amount of dishes that thing held, and that it was whisper quiet. But, all in all, I would never pay that much for a dishwasher again. I would find something middle of the road and not too much electronics as they can break dowwn and require replacement of the entire appliance.Mechanical is best.

Esteemed Contributor

Just got a new KitchenAide, very simple.  My LG died after 5 years.  Just love the new one and I refused to get stainless. I waited an extra week to get the black version.  Just to let you know, my countertops are solid black and the my cooktop and microwave are stainless with black trim.  Fridge is stainless and I hate it.... Fingerprints and I ruined it with the wrong cleaner.  

As for the Bosch I was told it did not dry the dishes at the end.  Not sure this was accurate, so I did not get it. It would have been my first choice.

Honored Contributor

Ooh, black countertops?   That sounds awesome!  I love black and all of my kitchen appliances are black.   Beautiful!  Smiley Happy   I'd love to get new counters but that probably isn't going to happen.  I have white kind of textured tile with black-ish grout.

I have heard a lot about stainless steel exteriors being a pain to clean so I never wanted that either.  But I think having a dishwasher with a stainless steel interior would be nicer than this plasticky-or whatever it is- stuff that my old one has.

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny

I'm really sorry to hear that your DW kicked the bucket.  Unless you have a lot of money floating around, this can be quite a challenge.

When we moved into our new town house in August, all of the appliances were shot.  I don't know what the previous owners did to disrespect their appliances in such a manner, but that meant we had to shell out major bucks before moving in.

When it came to the dishwasher, my husband found two "refurbished and used appliance" stores on our side of town.  I really didn't want to go that way, but he found an amazing Kitchen Aid that "finish-wise" looked as though it was meant to be with the other new appliances in the kitchen.  We ended up with LG frig/freezer and LG stove top with two ovens (yea!) - all new - then the KA right next to the LG stove/ovens.  That KA looks great in its place. 

The place we went to provided a 2 year guarantee, installation and they also carted off the old one.  Needless to say, we were really, really pleased with them.

We paid $325 for the Kitchen Aid dishwasher and the extras mentioned above.

Respected Contributor

I guess  I am an old fuddy duddy. I wash dishes by hand and have no use for a dishwasher.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

Another vote for Bosch here.  If we have to move, it's coming with me!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwasher croaked

[ Edited ]

Well, we are just home from Sears and  Warehouse Discount center.

I am more confused than ever. 

It is somewhat amusing to hear two different sales pitches, and two different takes on the features of various models.

I have no clue as to how to proceed on this. I did look at consumers, and the brands they recommend are the ones that appealed to me the most in the stores.

I really appreceate your input. I figure if you have used an appliance then you have something on which base an opinion.