Trusted Contributor

Re: Dish dispute.....lost most of what I watch

Dish did that to our area a couple of years ago.  The local station ran a message that their contract was up and Dish had raised its rate on them, but they were negotiating.

I called Dish immediately and complained.  They offered me a free antenna to get all my local channels on, and they would install it.

So, I did that and was able to access local stations as well as many PBS stations I had never seen before.

A couple of months later, the local station was back on Dish, but if I wanted to access it through Dish, instead of the antenna, they were going to charge me an extra $10 a month!

I guess its OK.  I occasionally lose the antenna and have to unplug and re- plug it in.

I'm with you.  Why does everything these days have to be so complicated?  It didn't used to be this way.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

We have had Dish Network for close to 20 years. We have lost local ABC Network at 1 time. I put up an antenna and was able to watch shows that way. It was for my wife because I only watch shows that are on the DVR. They eventually settled the contract with the local network. Think it was about 3 weeks.

We lost local Fox at a different time for about the same amount of time. Every TV supplier has contract disputes, and channels are lost or dropped. I went through the same thing with DirecTV and Cox Cable, years ago.

I called my local channels and expressed my views about their contract dispute with Dish Network. It doesn't take much time to call both parties involved and express you displeasure with both of them.

I have been happy with Dish Network, but DirecTV? I dumped them years ago and have never regretted doing so.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I used to get broadcast channels free but some change to a federal law made it possible for the cable company to encrypt them and require a box rental to view them.  

Respected Contributor

I lost my local Fox affiliate, so I'll have to figure out how to watch episodes of The Resident & 911, as I think those are the only shows currently on that I record/watch.

Respected Contributor

I've never used the On Demand feature on Dish, does it come from your local station or elsewhere?  Would I be able to watch programming that's shown on a station that's currently blocked in this dispute in my area & get it directly from the affected network?

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to the fancy features on my satellite system!

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I've never used the On Demand feature on Dish, does it come from your local station or elsewhere?  Would I be able to watch programming that's shown on a station that's currently blocked in this dispute in my area & get it directly from the affected network?

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to the fancy features on my satellite system!

Excellent question.  I had high hopes for a few minutes but when I tried to see if I could watch Greys anatomy or the connors on "on demand" it would not let me...