Honored Contributor

📞 Dish Network Telemarketing Class Action Lawsuit 📡

Did Dish Network telemarketer call you?

If your phone number was on the National Do Not Call Registry but you still got a phone call from the Dish Network, you could get $1,200.

That's because of a telemarketing lawsuit brought against the satellite TV provider. A federal judge in North Carolina has ruled that the company violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. 

Affected are 18,066 telephone numbers, which were phoned between May 11, 2010, and Aug. 1, 2011. 

To find out if your number is among those eligible for $1,200, go to: https://kccsecure.com/dishclassaction-Lookup/Home/PhoneForm.

If it is, submit a claim by visiting: http://www.dishclassaction.com/submit-payment-form.aspx.

The claims period ends June 18.

In 2014, Thomas Krakauer sued Dish Network for making illegal telemarketing calls to his phone number, which was on the do-not-call list.

Article on USA dot com website.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 📞 Dish Network Telemarketing Class Action Lawsuit 📡

Wow hope they do more of this.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I looked mine up but not included...after all the telemarketing calls I've received while being on the Do Not Call list that $1200.00 would've been sweet. Thanks for posting @Mz iMac.

Respected Contributor

I saw that on CBS News last night but unfortunately during those years I had Dish Network so there was no need for them to call me. 🙄

Honored Contributor

Darn, now im going to have to start answering my phone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I feel like this country is lawsuit-happy.  Why so much money just for a phone call?  I know how irritating it is but come on, 1200.00?  To that many people?  I don't like the annoying phone calls at all but really I feel like that is over the top.  Lawsuits are out of hand.  It hurts the economy.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get at least 4 to 6 scam calls a day. I won't type what I tell them. Sometimes they wake me up in the morning - and that's really annoying. Yes - companies/individuals need to receive BIG Fines. Unfortunately, many of the scammers are out of the U.S. - but something should be done with them as well. Too many innocent, naive people - including seniors or people that are not English-speaking -- fall for these SCAMS. Last week, the caller ID said Spectrum - that's my ISP - Time Warner. The guy with a thick Indian accents said that he's calling from Spectrum - and I asked if it were HOT in India. He again repeated he's from Spectrum and I hung up. My male roomie from Taiwan was standing next to me - and I explaned to him not to fall for these SCAM calls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I feel like this country is lawsuit-happy.  Why so much money just for a phone call?  I know how irritating it is but come on, 1200.00?  To that many people?  I don't like the annoying phone calls at all but really I feel like that is over the top.  Lawsuits are out of hand.  It hurts the economy.  

Shoekitty said

because they knowingly, and willingly broke the law. I for one am sick of these calls that have escalated.  If you are on the Do Not Call Registry and you answer a call from a telemarketer and you tell them you are on the DNCR, that should be it.  They are obligated by law to take you off their call list.  If they keep calling back after 30 days, they are subject to fines and penaltys.  If you dont enforce the law, why have them.. Now a days it is not as easy. However, many telemarketers don't abide by the law, and actually abuse it., and repeatedly call you call after you tell them not to call.  They can be extremely aggressive as well.

Remember in 2010, there wasn't really call blocking at all. Those were the days you jad recorders, or you had to answer the phone.  Also, back then the telemarketers started calling about dinner time. From what I gathered DISH was aggressive and repeatedly called him back.

Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Shoekitty said

because they knowingly, and willingly broke the law. I for one am sick of these calls that have escalated.  If you are on the Do Not Call Registry and you answer a call from a telemarketer and you tell them you are on the DNCR, that should be it.  They are obligated by law to take you off their call list.  If they keep calling back after 30 days, they are subject to fines and penaltys.  If you dont enforce the law, why have them.. Now a days it is not as easy. However, many telemarketers don't abide by the law, and actually abuse it., and repeatedly call you call after you tell them not to call.  They can be extremely aggressive as well.

Remember in 2010, there wasn't really call blocking at all. Those were the days you jad recorders, or you had to answer the phone.  Also, back then the telemarketers started calling about dinner time. From what I gathered DISH was aggressive and repeatedly called him back.

Great post @shoekitty!