Respected Contributor

Re: Disaster Preparedness. Are you ready for the unexpected?

I read last week they are moving things back underground.

By the way, 6 months of freeze dried food can be stored in a plastic tub under the bed.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-aerospace-command-moving-comms-gear-back-cold-015320113.html

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the link Esmeralda!

Honored Contributor

They have been coming and going since 2009. They are not always here, but Wash DC knows when they are. Just google "Russian nuclear subs off East Coast" and you will find many articles on it. They come here to sit and spy and for "war preparedness" right outside of our territorial waters

Recently I heard on CNN that the nutty leader of North Korea is in "talks" with Putin. They both have nuclear weapons, bombs, and missiles. So do China, India, and Pakistan. We hear so much about terrorism that we forget what the major threat is.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I'm glad to see a thread like this. So many people haven't even thought about it (we ALL need to!) Take action NOW, people. Buy a few things every month.

Btw, in the case of an EMP, it can take down all electronics, & even batteries. You need to store them in a Faraday cage type of thing for protection. There are different ways you can go about this....do a search.

Super Contributor

We've had "go bags" ready for decades. Not out of paranoia but just in case we get stuck on the road (we remember blizzards back home). Or what if something happens to our home while we are out - like a fire - the "go bags" are with us everytime we go out. And there are extra "go bag" items in the car, too.

It's just common sense to have a few things on the ready - you never know where or when you could be stuck on the road or faced with no utilities at home.

Valued Contributor

Even if there was some kind of strike for 3 days the stores might be empty. I have noticed other threads like this and the people being attacked as they said others were nuts to store things as nothing is going to happen. But after I saw that ISIS video I changed my thinking. it would not hurt anyone to have their prescriptions and other things packed away.

Walgreen in my area ran out of an antibiotic this winter...unreal! finally they got it in!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the reminder. We have grab and go backpacks, along with supplies at home. After I fill the backpacks I tend to forget about them. I just checked them and some of the food and medicine has expired. It doesn't seem that long ago since I did it. I need to start checking them at least once a year.

Super Contributor

On 4/13/2015 cottonball said:

Thanks for the reminder. We have grab and go backpacks, along with supplies at home. After I fill the backpacks I tend to forget about them. I just checked them and some of the food and medicine has expired. It doesn't seem that long ago since I did it. I need to start checking them at least once a year.

maybe when the time changes each year . . . kinda like batteries in the smoke detectors and check your backpacks.

Honored Contributor

Mominohio, I live in the Miami area and i'm ready for inside the home problems, but you have me beat for emergency evacuation. Why not add a few trunk items: empty, unused gas can with siphon, male urinal, rolls of tape, blankets, trash bags, pillows or sleeping bags, matches, sun powered radio, rope, plastic sheeting, first aid kit, feminine hygiene products-if applicable, boxed Smokey Joe bar-b-q by Weber, small bag of charcoal, flashlights, towels, Tide. I have had to do this sort of thing for the cars, during storm season. We keep some of it in coolers. Forget how much inside preparedness we have-it's insane. Inside preparedness, I do recommend a portable DVD player. There's too much to think about. We do keep an inflatable boat in our second story attic. Watching Katrina in New Orleans gave us that idea. We have an inverter from QVC, that needs replacement.
Respected Contributor

On 4/13/2015 Teacups said:

Even if there was some kind of strike for 3 days the stores might be empty. I have noticed other threads like this and the people being attacked as they said others were nuts to store things as nothing is going to happen. But after I saw that ISIS video I changed my thinking. it would not hurt anyone to have their prescriptions and other things packed away.

Walgreen in my area ran out of an antibiotic this winter...unreal! finally they got it in!

If you belong to Costco you can buy freeze dried food supplies there online. They started this a few years ago.