Valued Contributor

We currently are with TWC and have just been informed that they will be going all-digital on April 12. I knew they had been doing this everywhere and have been dreading it because once all the channels are encrypted, I will no longer be able to record on my DVR the way I have in the past. (Am able now to record a show on one channel while watching a different channel, plus able to do timed recordings. Will still be able to record, but after the change will have to stay on whatever channel set top box is on.)

Have been comparing prices on DirectTV with Genie versus what it would cost to either get one of TWC's enhanced DVRs or two of their regular DVR set top boxes and find Direct to be cheaper (at least for first year). Would love to hear what those of you who have Direct think about their picture quality and, particularly, about their customer service.

(Am also considering not having either service and just getting an antenna plus Roku and subscribing to Netflix and Hulu, but don' really know anything about Roku. Also don't know if I could connect my DVR to the antenna somehow and record shows as I do now. Decisions, decisions.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Direct TV vs Time Warner

Cable companies are a pain aren't they?

Did you see if TW offers a mutlt-room DVR, that way you can record many programs at once and watch what ever you want at the same time. 

This is what I have with Cablevision,

lots of threads here about Roku as well, it has limitations. I have one but don't really use it much as I don't use Netflix and any of the streamers  but it is easy to set up and you still need a broadband connection + wifi etc

I am sure everyone will add their thoughts

still costs too much

Valued Contributor

We are in the process of ditching Dish and putting up an antanna.  We have friends who just did this..put up an antanna with a rotor.  They get 30 channels that are clear as cable and they haven't even needed to turn their rotor. I can't wait to ditch dish!

Respected Contributor

I have TWC and it's  all digital now.  My box records fine...one show records and I can use other channels. Two shows record and I have to watch one of the two  recording or watch something I  have already on dvr.  Maybe you just need to go get a newer cable box.There should be no charge for an upgraded box. I just took mine back myself and there was no issue at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

Location of your house is a factor but my neighbor gave up the dish because bad weather - rain - snow - fuzzed the picture out.  (I'm not in mountain country either - more normal flat land)

Esteemed Contributor

Who will you buy your internet service from with Direct TV? How much will a package cost with internet?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

Who will you buy your internet service from with Direct TV? How much will a package cost with internet?

Direct TV is or was expensive for internet.

When we had Cablevision and were thinking about switching back to satellite we weren't able to get internet from anyone - the neighborhood wasn't wired for anything other than dial-up!

In order to get internet from the cable company you had to have the television.

Now we have Fios, so at least we have options now should we decide to make another switch.

Honored Contributor

I was intending to do as you did - cut the cable and go with an antenna / Roku combination.  I called the cable company (Verizon) to cancel service.  They could tell I was serious and informed me of a "Basic" tier of channels that costs only $10 per month as part of Triple Play.  I went with that because Double Play (phone + internet, no TV) actually cost more.  The Basic tier includes only over-the-air channels -- the same ones you'd get with an antenna.  And reception is better than with the antenna.  The antenna wasn't terrible, but it had its moments.

All this to say - don't buy your HD antenna until you're sure you'll need it.  I'd already bought mine, and it may be useful one day, though I'm not using it now.  

Occasional Contributor

There is a commercial for Time Warner that it now offers a dvr that you can record up to 4 or 6 shows at the sametime. 

Cockatiels are not throw away pets!
Respected Contributor

I had both Dish and went to Direct because of the huge jump in price. Then Direct did the same thing and have had Fios for some time now. I LOVE Fios TV but my prices went up and they will not let me re-sign at the lower price they offer others. I now pay $160 for TV, low speed Internet and a landline phone - Verizon. They sent me a new router some time back at my request so I could say who can and cannot use WiFi. No instructions on how to set it up and I called for help and was told bluntly to go online. Cannot figure it out. So am looking to again go elsewhere - I think Verizon is a rip off but must admit their Fios TV is the very best TV I have ever had. When I work up the energy will try and find something a lot cheaper - still need Internet, TV and a landline however. My only trouble with Direct and DISH - beside the huge escalation in prices - was trying to reset it if it went offline. Just could not figure it out. Fios is so easy - just hit menu and wait. That is my idea of fixing things. It does all the work. Have not had Cable since Cablevision and that was eons ago when it left this area.