Respected Contributor

Re: Direct TV and I have no TV and Buyer Beware

We’ve had DIRECTV for 14 years and absolutely love it. Never a problem. We decided to move a TV to another location and had their service person out a couple of months ago and he said that they would upgrade our system because no upgrades have been done since we had it installed. We never needed anything. They didn’t charge us for that. Very happy.

Trusted Contributor

I still have no TV and no receiver. Four phone calls today alone. All offshore. Connections were terrible. And, I found out that the receiver was never put in process. Can you believe that? Supposedly, they now are hand delivering it through a technician tomorrow. I have a contract with Direct TV until January. I am seriously considering moving to another carrier and informing them (Direct TV) they can not fulfill the terms of their contract and cancelling. Since ATT involvement it is awful.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's great to have satellite TV as an alternative to cable, but my experience is that most folks with satellite eventually switch back to cable.

@ValuSkr  Do you know why they switched back?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Years  ago I switched to Direct TV and after a year of disappointments went right back to cable and never looked back.  

======

We did too @SeaMaiden and while none are perfect, I'm happy we have cable. I think OP should spend the $20 S&H if she wants to continue her current service.

Trusted Contributor

youcan also file a complaint  with fcc or your local area to make them make it right.  also check to see ifyour state has an office of consumer protection

Trusted Contributor

I filed a complaint on Friday with the FCC. And, I did pay the 19.99. We found the personal number of the gentleman that installed the system and called him. He was out the next day and fixed the old receiver. No thanks to AT and T. We still have not received new receiver. And, to boot I am out 19.99 to add insult to injury.

Esteemed Contributor

We ditched the dish a few years ago and have never regretted it.  Not once.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:
@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

would never switch to a system where you had to have a dish on your property.

very happy with our comcast xfinity cable, especially since they upgraded our home for free to the X1 platform.

@sunshine45

Our area has an up start cable co that promises to always be lower than Spectrum/ATT/Direct TV...so happy with channel selection and their customer service Woman Very Happy

I checked out Direct TV, and also cutting the chord too, and Id have to get Both Orange/Blue Sling package, then pay extra for a couple of sports options (so much for their $25 commercial deal--I guess its OK if you like basic TV after all their introductory offers on certain channels run out)..And then buy an antenna for local channels..and I would need to get Hulu to get channels Sling missed....and still need a must have HighSpeed Internet....it would cost $39 more a month to cut the chord and I would still miss a couple of channels.....Im with you @sunshine45   --- sticking with my cable

That's my problem with cutting the cord.  We don't watch a ton of channels, but some of the ones we watch are not the most common.  I told my husband that once you bundled together the different services to get what we wanted we would probably be paying almost as much anyways.  Plus, I like having a guide to look at, and I'm a channel swapper.  And then there's the issue of finding he college football games I want to watch.  I do hate that DirecTV got bought by ATT, that sux.

@Icegoddess

Heres a helpful tool

https://cordcutting.com/cord-cutting-calculator/

Thanks so much for posting this calculator.  We have Sling and Netflix.  Sling is $30 and Netflix is $15.  Sling is terrible, shows get cut off in the middle or suddenly goes dark and have to sign in all over again.   I miss Direct TV but what I've been reading here it appears it is not as good as it once was due to a buyout.  I am going to show this to my daughter and try to work out something we can have and once again have lots and lots of channels to choose from plus see my favorite shows again.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

This will be my last post hopefully. I received a call from the "Office of the President of AT&T"  Who knew (not) Anyway she researched everything (via the notes) and she said that my receiver should have been sent with a technician to swap it out. That was 19.95 and the receiver was 19.99. So, I had received nothing and told her the whole sad story. The final result is my TV is working no thanks to AT&T and she credited my account for all the monies charged for non performance. So, the only reason I got any satisfaction was due to the fact I filed a complaint and had the tech come and fix the receiver. Serves to underlay my theory, "too big to care."

Trusted Contributor

We have had Direct TV for over 15 years and never had a problem with their service.  They have a good selection of channels depending on what package you get.  They updated our box because it was so old free of charge.  They contacted us about it.  Of all the services for TV cable and satellite, I give Direct TV a 10+.   That is JMO.