Honored Contributor

Re: Direct TV and I have no TV and Buyer Beware

[ Edited ]

I've been a Directv customer for 16 years. Before that I had cable...which I would never go back to.

I have their newest Genie-2 and yes there are some problems with it but they are still working out the bugs and so far it's been getting much better. 

Valued Contributor

@Deanie  You don't pay for that. They  ruined the unit. A power surge, caused by Teco, took out my internet, and Frontier repalced the unit for free. In that scenario I thought I'd have to fight with them. They were great. DTV, no, just no. Call and ask for retention department. If you don't get what you deserve, then cancel. I use direct tv now, so no dish to deal with. There are also other options.

Honored Contributor

@wildlifewitch, explain the DirecTV Now.  How does it work without a dish.  Is it a streaming service?

Contributor

I switched to DISH.  Much better service and the low intro price lasts longer. And I can watch TV on my phone or tablet.All of my channels and not just a few like Direct TV.

Trusted Contributor

@rezski  We've had our Dish Tv for over 15 years and have had wonderful customer service.  I can't remember when we had any trouble whatsoever.  I would never go back to cable.  I can watch on my phone or tablet too but I've nerve found a need for that.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter  nor do I.  The very suspicious part of me thinks that perhaps it may be a ploy to sign people up for a maintenance program and up the revenue stream. The logical part of me thinks the old box no longer receives the signal or is scrambled differently. Either way, the engineers should have anticipated this result.

Valued Contributor

@IcegoddessYes it is a streaming service. I use Apple TV. Smart Tvs likely already have it. I can even watch and record from my phone. Check out their website to see if it works for you.Keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

We can not get streaming where we live.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Daughter has direct tv and have had all sorts of problems with it...no tv when it rains. Took three days for the tech guy to come out...fixed the problems, then it went out one day later...and on it goes. Just error messages on the screen. The people on the phone don't care if you threaten to switch to another company. She has spoken to the manager and supervisor...or at least that's who they say they are. So far, I have heard no glowing endorsements of any service providers. 

Honored Contributor

Any time ATT is involved it is downhill from there. We don't have Direct TV for that reason. Sounds like our area just has crappier providers than others who posted; they must live in an area that is the exception.