Honored Contributor

Re: Direct TV and I have no TV and Buyer Beware

Hey Sunshine! What does one do if cable is not available in ones area? Hmmmm?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Hey Sunshine! What does one do if cable is not available in ones area? Hmmmm?

LOL, i probably could not live there.......

i would probably try to live with using services like netflix, hulu, amazon prime, and more.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

would never switch to a system where you had to have a dish on your property.

very happy with our comcast xfinity cable, especially since they upgraded our home for free to the X1 platform.

@sunshine45

Our area has an up start cable co that promises to always be lower than Spectrum/ATT/Direct TV...so happy with channel selection and their customer service Woman Very Happy

I checked out Direct TV, and also cutting the chord too, and Id have to get Both Orange/Blue Sling package, then pay extra for a couple of sports options (so much for their $25 commercial deal--I guess its OK if you like basic TV after all their introductory offers on certain channels run out)..And then buy an antenna for local channels..and I would need to get Hulu to get channels Sling missed....and still need a must have HighSpeed Internet....it would cost $39 more a month to cut the chord and I would still miss a couple of channels.....Im with you @sunshine45   --- sticking with my cable

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Streaming is not available,either.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

very happy with our comcast xfinity cable, especially since they upgraded our home for free to the X1 platform.

@sunshine45

Our area has an up start cable co that promises to always be lower than Spectrum/ATT/Direct TV...so happy with channel selection and their customer service Woman Very Happy

I checked out Direct TV, and also cutting the chord too, and Id have to get Both Orange/Blue Sling package, then pay extra for a couple of sports options (so much for their $25 commercial deal--I guess its OK if you like basic TV after all their introductory offers on certain channels run out)..And then buy an antenna for local channels..and I would need to get Hulu to get channels Sling missed....and still need a must have HighSpeed Internet....it would cost $39 more a month to cut the chord and I would still miss a couple of channels.....Im with you @sunshine45   --- sticking with my cable

That's my problem with cutting the cord.  We don't watch a ton of channels, but some of the ones we watch are not the most common.  I told my husband that once you bundled together the different services to get what we wanted we would probably be paying almost as much anyways.  Plus, I like having a guide to look at, and I'm a channel swapper.  And then there's the issue of finding he college football games I want to watch.  I do hate that DirecTV got bought by ATT, that sux.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@ValuSkr:  What are you even saying?  Almost everyone I know how has satellite and never heard of anybody switching back to cable.  In our area there is much better service with satellite but you need to keep your apparatus covered with a garbage bag in winter (so snow slides off).

@patbz, this (or a similar product) is what I use on my satellite dish.   I'd need a ladder and 911 if I tried to put a garbage bag over my dish but I can manage a spray.

Rain-X Water Repellent Fast Wax

Rain‑X® Water Repelling Fast Wax is a premium wax that provides a high gloss shine and a protective barrier between your car’s paint and damaging elements such as rain, snow, sleet, mud, tar, and road grime.
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:
@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45

That's my problem with cutting the cord.  We don't watch a ton of channels, but some of the ones we watch are not the most common.  I told my husband that once you bundled together the different services to get what we wanted we would probably be paying almost as much anyways.  Plus, I like having a guide to look at, and I'm a channel swapper.  And then there's the issue of finding he college football games I want to watch.  I do hate that DirecTV got bought by ATT, that sux.

@Icegoddess

Heres a helpful tool

https://cordcutting.com/cord-cutting-calculator/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Well, I love this lively conversation. It makes me happy that I am not alone in my misery with both cable and satellite. I did manage to get a credit for four days of TV since the "wonderful" supervisor was not so "wonderful" No TV.

Oh, and our dish is in the ground on a stick like apparatus in the corner of our yard and can not be seen as it is hidden somewhat. However, in the snow, my DH has to go out and sweep it off. I will tell him about the all new Chanel Garbage Bag Garment. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Deanie,

As a DirecTV customer for 20 years, I will say the monthly fee for the maintenance plan is worth it.   We have 4 TVs; 2 are in use for very long periods every day.   I think every receiver here has been replaced at least once, at no charge to us.   

Longevity with this company pays off.  I do think they treat their faithful customers right.   

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

We cut the cord on cable over one year ago and got Direct TV. And, with this I say buyer beware. The service was OK, the channel somewhat limited however the plethora of shopping sites was enormous. Yesterday, in watching a prerecorded program. my TV froze. After numerous attempts to fix the problem, I called Direct TV. Well, it appears that the engineers were upgrading the system and the box blew out. They will send me a new box for  19.99 or I can upgrade to their maintenance program for 10.00 per month. So, I said to the CS, you caused the problem and, now, I have to pay for the repair of the problem you caused, I already pay monthly. Talk about a typical Catch 22

I wouldn't use DirecTV if it were free (or the other one), but I think this is really out of line.  They cause their equipment to blow up and they expect YOU to pay for it?  Uh, no.  

I hope you find somebody up the ladder to make this right.

I suppose there are downsides to everything, but I have purposely stuck with Cable all these years and the problems have been few and far between.  I've also known numerous people who ditched satellite for the many problems it cause.  This is a new one for the books, though!  

Weather is one of the worst things with satellite.  With cable, the outages are so few and far between I can't even remember when the last one was.   Whenever it does happen, it is short-lived as they get right on it.  Furthermore, I never have to worry about weather occurrences causing problems, as they do with satellite.

Keep on it and I hope somebody takes care of you.