Honored Contributor

Re: Direct TV and I have no TV and Buyer Beware

I have Comcast Xfinity, like all things in life, it is not perfect but I don't see the point in switching to something else that also is not perfect.  Even if it is cheaper.  Sometimes, they don't tell you all the features in a contract or the add ons that are available.  I had Comcast for years, when we moved into this condo, I began having internet problems.  Every time, I would call, it was a nightmare.  Turn the box over and read this number, look at the modem and read that number, do this and do that and do this.  Well, at one I blew up and complained about it and the cs rep said, well for $10 a month, you can purchase coverage where whenever you have an problems, we send the technician out.  Huh????  First time anyone ever mentioned that to me, I'd have bought if I knew it existed. We spend more than $10 for Sunday morning bagels.  I lose track of more than $10 a month.  That made my life so much easier.  And when the tech guy arrived, he said the modem was "fried" and needed to be replaced.  Which he did....and no more problems.   A couple of months later, when we bought a new bedroom tv, we didn't bother setting it up ourselves.  I called Comcast and told them I had a new smart tv and they sent a tech out to install it, hook it up to cable and he even showed us some features of our new tv.  Best $10 a month I ever spent!  I think I'm just not one of those people who likes to argue a point just to be arguing, even when there is no advantage for me.  

Honored Contributor

@patbz - what a good idea!  The only time we lost service was when the snow would build up between the dish and that thing that looks like a microphone.

We did switch from satellite to cable because it was way cheaper to do the bundle with Cablevision.  We have FIOS now.

Honored Contributor

I would've thought that covering the dish with a garbage bag would interfere with the signal too.  Who knew?  Snow is not a problem here in The South, but I do hate having it go out whenever it rains hard, especially when it's a big storm because of the tornado threat.

My impression was that all DirecTV channels are the same except for the local ones.  There are different levels which have more channels, but 285 is the Murder Channel whether it's here or in MT.  

Honored Contributor

Cable is not available where we live. We are kinda tired of Direct. We watch very little TV and are trying HARD to make a decision.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Years  ago I switched to Direct TV and after a year of disappointments went right back to cable and never looked back.  

Honored Contributor

@Deanie

We have Direct Tv and since ATT merger we have had problems, but they are easily solved.

I never get a straight answer about what the problem is, but so far, they have come and changed out the box and that fixes things for awhile.

The last bill was double...apparently our two-year “deal” was up. After calling, the new price wasn’t as great as the price we had been paying.

If we ever face this again, I will be putting the date on the calendar!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

would never switch to a system where you had to have a dish on your property.

very happy with our comcast xfinity cable, especially since they upgraded our home for free to the X1 platform.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree Wow, I have Comcast.  Didn't know about that $10 per month technician-in-person service.  Am preparing to change/update my service with them, probably next month so I really am glad you mentioned this.  Many, many thanks. 

Honored Contributor

If they treated me like that I would tell them they could take their box & put it where the sun don't shine. LOL!!!

Cutting the Cord is not having service with Direct TV either that's just moving to another provider.

Direct TV has plenty of channels you just have to pay for them.

I have DISH they have never done that to us. I'm going to be dropping a lot of our programming since I don't watch much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

@ValuSkr:  What are you even saying?  Almost everyone I know how has satellite and never heard of anybody switching back to cable.  In our area there is much better service with satellite but you need to keep your apparatus covered with a garbage bag in winter (so snow slides off).

@patbz 

I agree with what @ValuSkr said....I know lots of family/friends/co-workers that had satellite and or tried cable alternatives and came back to cable.....either they didnt like channel selection and werent getting channels they wanted, or reception problems especially everytime it rains, or lousy customer service..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”