Trusted Contributor

Direct TV and I have no TV and Buyer Beware

We cut the cord on cable over one year ago and got Direct TV. And, with this I say buyer beware. The service was OK, the channel somewhat limited however the plethora of shopping sites was enormous. Yesterday, in watching a prerecorded program. my TV froze. After numerous attempts to fix the problem, I called Direct TV. Well, it appears that the engineers were upgrading the system and the box blew out. They will send me a new box for  19.99 or I can upgrade to their maintenance program for 10.00 per month. So, I said to the CS, you caused the problem and, now, I have to pay for the repair of the problem you caused, I already pay monthly. Talk about a typical Catch 22

Trusted Contributor

Re: Direct TV and I have no TV and Buyer Beware

I would keep fighting that.  Demand to speak with a manager or customer retention.  There is no way you should have to pay.  The first level customer service will also give you a padded answer.  Once you tell them you are going to switch to another provider they change their tune. The next level of support is usually willing to work with  you.

We have been having issues with our Comcast Service once I told them I was ready to switch they turned us over to customer retention who has actually been working with us to solve our issues.

Honored Contributor

It's great to have satellite TV as an alternative to cable, but my experience is that most folks with satellite eventually switch back to cable.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I did demand that the CS rep escalate my call. And, upon doing so the supervisor told me the 19.99 was for shipping and handling, not the receiver. How do you like that? Clever, huh?

And, to boot, we are locked in until January.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand how them upgrading the system would blow your box out.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr:  What are you even saying?  Almost everyone I know how has satellite and never heard of anybody switching back to cable.  In our area there is much better service with satellite but you need to keep your apparatus covered with a garbage bag in winter (so snow slides off).

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's great to have satellite TV as an alternative to cable, but my experience is that most folks with satellite eventually switch back to cable.

We switched to Direct TV over 10 years ago and have never switched back to cable.

No one I know has gone back to cable.

Yes, it goes out when there is a big storm, so did my cable.  When it is out, I can still use the DVR boxes and watched something I have taped.  We are never without any TV service.

I think sometimes it is a regional thing...in our area the service is great, enormous amount of channels and the price is lower than I paid with Time Warner.  When we built our new home last year, we stayed with Direct.  Landscapers cut the line...Direct replaced at no cost to us.

I agree with the other poster.  I would not accept that answer you were given and get to a Supervisor to resolve the issue for free.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie the same happened to my box a couple of day ago...now I know it was an update and I don't understand because they normally do the updates in the wee hours of the night when we are sleeping.  This update interrupted everything and it caused the box to freeze and the screen on the TV to go dark. I thought my TV was on the blink and after restarting it worked but there are visible glitches.  

I started off with cable and switched to Directv over 20 years ago.  Since the merger with ATT there have been constant issues with the box and dish and the first thing they want you to do is purchase their protection plan. Overall, service has gone down hill and I am probably cutting ties with Directv next year and will use the Roku and Firestick instead!

Trusted Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Yes, I did demand that the CS rep escalate my call. And, upon doing so the supervisor told me the 19.99 was for shipping and handling, not the receiver. How do you like that? Clever, huh?

And, to boot, we are locked in until January.

Call back and tell them you are cancelling the service unless this is resolved without you paying.  When I call I am a B**** but calm and nice about it (if that makes sense).  I always get my way - Always.  You should not even be paying S&H for a new box.  That is ridiculus when it is their fault.

Also I would be calling around now to find a new service, give them the rates you have found - it helps.  Worst case you actually can pay them through the end of your term and start a new service.

Valued Contributor

you need to keep your apparatus covered with a garbage bag in winter (so snow slides off).

That assumes you can reach the dish.  Mine had to be put on my roof so that it could reach the satellites above the high trees in my subdivision.

I'm in Colorado so I lose my HD channels all the time when it snows.  I sometimes can get the  SD channels.

Having said that, I prefer Directv to Comcast.